1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vantage Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smcfarland1337, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    I have three VP 710B.
    Two red ones which i covered in wood vinyl because i don't like the red.
    This friday i bought a natural coloured in near mint condition.
    Do i have to say that i love them? :)
    I should have 4, but one got stolen in '91
    IMG_20150905_114524.

Abner and DavetheDude like this.
  2. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    I had a p/j 5 string back in the early 90's. My first 5er. Had a really nice neck but noisy electronics and serious neck dive. Sold it to a musician that ended up using it to pay a bar tab with. The bar owner hung it on the wall behind the bar. That's where I discovered it years later. I remember telling the bar owner that I used to have a bass just like that. He replied that he got the bass from a certain musician to cover his tab, and then just thought it would look good on the wall........ Yup that's my old bass.

Paragon3 likes this.
  3. scuzzyman

scuzzyman

Jun 30, 2013

Attached Files:

4. scuzzyman

scuzzyman

Jun 30, 2013
    This strange looking Vantage Bass was purchased brand new in 1994 and is reckoned to have been built Ca. early '90's, in Korea, using Japanese components supplied by Matsumoko. It is a factory hybrid, and it is uncertain as to how many were made in this style. I bought it from One Man Band in Banbury, Oxfordshire, England. It plays beautifully, but always had a non- op tone control, until recently, when I had the control fixed by Robin Smith at Remade Guitars, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, England. The instrument is now one of the best Bass Guitars that I own (I own around twelve). 20151031_111739. 20151031_111739. 20151031_111808. 20151031_111739. 20151031_111808.

5. Weet

Weet

Jun 30, 2015
    Victoria Canada
    For the most comprehensive information on Vantage guitars and basses, go to this website - you will be able to figure out the year and month it was built and all the history you could ever want
    www.vantage-guitars.com This is an awesome site put together by a Norwegian fellow. Weet (the guy with the Witch Bass at the bottom of page 2)

DavetheDude likes this.
  6. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    An updated pic of my VP710B's:
    I found one that looked so much like the one that got stolen in -91 so i had to buy it!
    It's my fourth. Just love everything about them.
    PhotoGrid_1460737495150.

JRA, Abner and DavetheDude like this.
  7. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Looks like he spent a lot of time putting that site together, and then ... nothing? I sent him a pic of my VA900B/FL to use, but either he doesn't like it, or isn't bothered to update the site anymore. Or my email ended up in his spam folder.

8. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Hello Vantage People.
    I'm a huge Matsumoku factory fan. I've got some old Ibanez, some Westones, but no Vantage yet.
    How do they stack up? How does the set neck work out long term? What problems should I look out for with the Vantages?
    and is there a lull in the market now or do they always sell for peanuts? I'm seeing lots for less than I would expect.
    I love the look of the double P setup full scale 795b Mmmmmm

9. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Dang. Not even one response after a whole week, eh?

My only experience with Vantage is with the VA900B neck-through versions (a fretless I've had since 1982 or so, and a fretted version). These are every bit the equal to any Aria Pro II or Westone from the era. I see no reason to think the workmanship in the set-neck and bolt-on versions to be any less.

But I am beginning to think they were all medium scale except for the VAs.

-Alex

10. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    And all of a sudden there are five VP710's :hyper:
    IMG_20160521_140617.

Abner, JRA and DavetheDude like this.
  11. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    You, sir, are nuts! :)

JRA likes this.
  12. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    I guess i am...
    In a good way ;)

75kva likes this.
  13. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    I only have experience of the 710's.
    The neck on all of them are as new.
    The only downside is that the bridge often is somewhat bent due to badly done setup.

14. Weet

Weet

Jun 30, 2015
    Victoria Canada
    He emailed me back within a few days of me sending in a photo of my fretless VS600B. He told me he didn't realize they had made them in the fretless version. Maybe he received a whack of emails after I mentioned his site and got tired of answering them all . . . who knows. Good site, though.

15. Weet

Weet

Jun 30, 2015
    Victoria Canada
    I have had my Vantage bass since 1981 - nothing has gone wrong with it other than a bit of scratchiness in the dials after about 30 years and was fixed (just a cleaning) in about 5 minutes. The neck is still straight as an arrow. I have seen fretted versions in mint condition going for about $300 at Long and McQuade in Canada, and for about $200 on the used websites. Definitely worth the money ! ! The only minor complaint I can think of about these instruments is the weight (heavy ! !) but as I need the exercise, it is probably good for me. wheet

Baa likes this.
  16. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    An update:
    As of yesterday i am the proud owner of six VP710b :hyper:
    6xkropp.

Paragon3, aguacollas, Abner and 2 others like this.
  17. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Seriously dawg, what's up with you? :D

18. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    Most things i do, i do moderatly.
    But this is a life long love that i let sweep me away :)

DavetheDude and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  19. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Nice. Ever think of branching out and getting perhaps a different model of Vantage? ;)

Baa likes this.
  20. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    No. not ever...
    This is my thing :D

Bugeyed Earl likes this.