1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Versatile Fretless 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 89JazzMan, Dec 7, 2011.

1. 89JazzMan

89JazzMan

Sep 10, 2009
    Various
    So I know these questions happen all the time but mine may be a little more specific.

I am looking at two basses right now and as a latin/straight ahead/rock/funk/whatever guy.

They are the Lakland 5502 deluxe fretless and a Tom Clement. I know that the Clements are very customizable, however the 5502 feature several mid controls and settings. I am looking for the most versatile and durable of the two.

If they made a fretless 5 fender jazz this point would be moot.

Thanks for the replies. Serious only please. I am not interested in arguments as I am looking for experienced responses.

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Simple answer is that versatility in 99% in the hands of the player. A two pickup bass, allows you warm fat, and aggressive burpy tones, After that, the lines you play, your articulations determine genre. The more you know and understand the styles, the more versatile the bass.

You need to find a bass that feels great and gets a great tone organically. Then add your processing, eq. away you go. Personal preference is what it's all about, active... passive, single coil.... humbucker etc.

3. 89JazzMan

89JazzMan

Sep 10, 2009
    Various
    I shall specify. My hands aside. Which bass will fit the bill for most styles/genres? Which bass can I take out to gigs or rehearsals without having to feel like it is made out of glass.

Both of these basses have great tones and my fingers are where they need to be. I mean a pro driver can drive a lotus and a viper. Same driver...very very different experiences.

I appreciate the response!!!!!

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Personal taste question.... your answer is the best.

From my perspective, right off the bat, fretless makes the bass less than versatile. So much of contemporary style is fretted bass centric... (slap, tapping etc.) Fretless is terrific for lyrical and double bass-esk sounds, you won't be playing funk that depends on good slap tone, or dub dub of a thick raggae groove. Many contemporary Latin grooves are slap based too.

So you see, its all about your personal preference. I would not presume to know you or your style.... but you do.

5. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Tom can make you a fenderish 5 string fretless jazz to your specs. Calls it a Kim model. Email him, great guy to work with.