Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very fast crossing Vivaldi

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Chasarms, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    As most of you guys know, I am about as new to the whole arco orchestra thing as they come, so I have been woodsheding bigtime this year, as it is my first effort at classical string bass performing.

In all modesty, I am pretty amazed at the overall sound I have been getting, but there are a few places where it still sounds like a cat in a trash can.

One of the pieces we are performing is Vivaldi's Gloria. Overall, it isn't the toughest thing in the world, but there is a passage that makes a octave jumps on the eights. C-c-C-C-C-c-C-C-C, then on the G. It's marked at 120 but I think the conductor is taking it about 130 or better.

The nice thing is there are rests before and after this passage so I can set up the bow however will best get me through this.

Any tips on how to approach this? I am really struggling to stay on the pulse of the music.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Hey man, I'm doin the Vivaldi Gloria with my strings ensemble and Chorus. The first movment is very simple. All it is is octave string crossings with few exceptions. For the C, place you frst finger on the C on the A and the Your fourth on the C on the G string. Use that hand position for the whole piece where its needed. The 11th movment is the same. When youget past those movments post again and I'll explain to you what ya should do. Get your teacher to explan if you have no idea what I'm talkin about.
    Pete

3. Oh and my conductor is taking this piece aboyut 150-160

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't have issue with the fingering. I am struggling with the bow. I have started on the up bow and down bow and struggled with both.

My teacher is a professional orchestra player, so we have an understanding that I leave him alone the last six weeks of the year because of all the performances he does. In exchange, he will extend my lessons 10 minutes or so and take calls without issue.

Anyway, based on the responses, I guess the answer is just to practice.

5. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Just a suggestion...

It might be helpful to practice the passage slow enough so that you can be very aware of each down bow that falls on a big beat. Let your brain depend on those down bows as reference points. This should make the bowing feel more settled and hopefully make a pattern for you to go on.

Ben

6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Take it slow and then keep notching the nome up and up until you get to 150. Also, just practice it on one string for a nice relaxed smooth arco feel.

Does it sound like "cats in the trash bin" because you are hitting the D string or Just not getting a strong tone from the low and high C?

You'll get it.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    See, now y'all are embellishing. I only mentioned one cat!!! :)

I don't have any problems coming off the high C down to the A string or making the same descending cross with the Gs from the D to E.

Also, most of the time, I make a clean cross up to the higher C, I just struggle with consistently getting a clean tone. The bigger issue is with the Gs, where I tend to overcompensate the crossing and hit the G string. I tried playing it with the open string instead of the note stopped on the D, but it sounds cheesy and the other bassists are playing it stopped.

I will get it, I just wonder how many more hours of those same 12 measures my family can stand.