1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Video: Yamaha BBP34 vs American 60s P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vanheusen77, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    Hi! Since there was multiple threads on the Yamaha BB VS P bass subject I was not sure where this would go so I post it here. I could not find a similar comparison so I made my own. I hope it will be of help for someone looking for something like this. Both basses are all stock.

2. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    I got requests for more settings and right hand techniques with more bouncing back and forth so I made this part 2. Fore some reason I could not edit it into the original post.

3. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Welp. They both sound like a P bass, I'll say that for free.

Root 5, BrentSimons and Vanheusen77 like this.
  4. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    Yeah I even to me the difference is subtle, but it’s there. It’s easier to hear when you go direct (like here) than through the amp.

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. Your videos are awesome. Both basses sounds great. IMHO Fender is just a little bit better for my ears, more low mids maybe. What about feeling? Which one do you like more. I would like to buy one but can't choose the winner. I love how Fenders sounds but don't like build flaws that they have. Somewhat like a long time marriage for me :)

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    The difference in feel is much bigger than the difference in sound. In many wants they are opposites, and I like them both for what they are. The Fender is very vintage in construction and feel with big 43mm neck, and gloss nitro finish on the back of the neck. The Yamaha is a much more modern construction with thinner 40mm satin finished neck as well as six bolts, string through and much more. They are both very sturdy and well built. The P bass needs to have the neck removed for truss rod access, but thats no biggie to do yourself. I love them both for their opposite ends of the P bass spectrum. I also feel that in the name of full objectivity, I must disclose that I am endorsed by Yamaha. Since the necks especially feels different (and the Am. Orig. P bass feels quite different from the Am. Pro. P) you really have to try them to make a decision.

7. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Finger Lakes area of New York State
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    Thanks very much for doing this, it really helps. I've got my eye on the used market for a BBP34 because it might be exactly what I've been looking for -- and I've acquired eight Yamaha BBs looking for it! I like all those BBs right now, but if the 34 is what I think it is, I'd trade some of them in a minute just to cut down on the clutter.

Vanheusen77 likes this.
  8. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    Glad to help out! It’s a great PJ!

BobDeRosa likes this.
  9. Nice playing! (And either bass would work for me. Although I couldn't make it sound that good, I'm afraid.)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021