1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage case for Rickenbacker bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Todd Larson, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Hey all,

So, I recently found this FrankenFender beauty on Craigslist, and would like your collective wisdom. I'm familiar with vintage Fenders, but not so with Ricks from this era.

The real mystery is the case. This one is actually silver Tolex (not sprayed), black leather ends and blue crushed velvet interior. Matches the exact dimensions of my blond '63-'64 Fender cases. I've seen the silver/blue combo on Rickenbackers from the era, but never with a Fender.

My question to the group: Could this be a Rick case? Custom ordered for Fender? I believe these were made by Victoria/G&G, but my knowledge of vintage cases is lacking.
    Vintage Guitars Info - Fender, collecting vintage guitars fender stratocaster, strat, telecaster, tele doesn't address this.

I might be willing to trade the case for a vintage tweed or brown Fender bass case. Any helpful comments/questions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    img_7630-jpg.jpg img_7629-jpg.jpg img_7631-jpg.jpg img_7632-jpg.jpg img_7633-jpg.jpg img_7634-jpg.jpg

2. John G

John G

Sep 4, 2015
    Is this a vintage RIC bass case?

Thanks
    John

3. Hi John, it could be but I'm not sure. It's the exact dimensions of my 60's Fender bass cases, and it came with a 1960 Precision that I just bought. That said, it looks just like a vintage Rick case.
    Cheers,

4. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    4003 Ric 1.JPG '78 P-Bass 1.JPG This COY '01 4003 came in a Rick Vintage case (actually, all lefty Rick basses do). Looking at my case, I would have to say - no, it isn't a Rick case. The silver tolex is... close, but maybe it's just more roadworn than mine. The ends do look right, as do the latches. But... there should be a plate on the front side of the case - centered between the left and center latches - with "Rickenbacker" on it, in the same script as on the headstock. And, the interior layout of that case is totally different from mine. The final clincher (for me) is that - this '78 P-Bass won't fit in my Rick's case. It's at the wrong angle, and a good 1-1 1/2" too long... So, maybe from the same company that makes the Rick Vintage cases, but.. no; IMO, not a Rick case. It's a P-Bass case... :cool:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  5. Great observations - and thanks, makes sense.
    You have some sweet instruments there! I had a '73 4000 back in the day, should have never let that one go.

Cheers!

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I haven't come across one that has an angled accesory compartment. And, at least on vintage cases for the 4005 series, they didn't have the metal logo plate; not the few I have seen (or, owned).

Didn't some vintage Fenders have silver cases (Mustang, perhaps)?

7. Mustangs and Duo Sonics, Music Masters, could be purchased with a silver case, but I believe it had a red lining. We're always learning something new, I guess!