violin bass, anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by classic rocker, Dec 27, 2007.

1. classic rocker

classic rocker

Dec 26, 2007
    an hour ago i came across a hofner "violin" bass copy, model eko, made by greco (japan), circa late 60's. it's a semi-acoustical electric bass with arched spruce top, all maple body and arched back, ebony fingerboard, double polarity twin pickups, 3 position tone selector. the neck is straight as an arrow, plays nice, sounds awesome, very fine tone up and down the neck, came with a hard shell case for $150 at a pawn shop...

anybody have any experience with this bass?

classic rocker

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think the one in the link is Italian. They also made some stuff labeled Vox.

4. classic rocker

classic rocker

Dec 26, 2007
    i think glennw is right, that's an italian model i've heard about. this one is indistinguishable from the original hofner, except maybe for a few small details and of course the name on the head stock...

5. teej

teej Gold Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Greco supposedly made some really good "clones" of the 500/1 (and more notebly, the Ric 4001). If it were me, I'd snag it!

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

A professional set up can go a long way on these basses although the pick ups dont allways measure up on these type basses.

7. classic rocker

classic rocker

Dec 26, 2007
    thanks for the input, guys, i bought the hofner copy...that italian job pictured, i remember years ago seeing felix pappalardi of 'mountain' perform with one of those...he got a pretty heavy sound out of it, i seem to recall...wonder whatever happened to felix...

classic rocker

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021