violin bass, anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by classic rocker, Dec 27, 2007.

1. classic rocker

classic rocker

Dec 26, 2007
    an hour ago i came across a hofner "violin" bass copy, model eko, made by greco (japan), circa late 60's. it's a semi-acoustical electric bass with arched spruce top, all maple body and arched back, ebony fingerboard, double polarity twin pickups, 3 position tone selector. the neck is straight as an arrow, plays nice, sounds awesome, very fine tone up and down the neck, came with a hard shell case for $150 at a pawn shop...

anybody have any experience with this bass?

classic rocker

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  3. GlennW

GlennW Inactive

Sep 6, 2006
    I think the one in the link is Italian. They also made some stuff labeled Vox.

4. classic rocker

classic rocker

Dec 26, 2007
    i think glennw is right, that's an italian model i've heard about. this one is indistinguishable from the original hofner, except maybe for a few small details and of course the name on the head stock...

5. teej

teej Venmo @teej1986

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Greco supposedly made some really good "clones" of the 500/1 (and more notebly, the Ric 4001). If it were me, I'd snag it!

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

A professional set up can go a long way on these basses although the pick ups dont allways measure up on these type basses.

7. classic rocker

classic rocker

Dec 26, 2007
    thanks for the input, guys, i bought the hofner copy...that italian job pictured, i remember years ago seeing felix pappalardi of 'mountain' perform with one of those...he got a pretty heavy sound out of it, i seem to recall...wonder whatever happened to felix...

classic rocker