1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Violin Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by YsbrydYrAfon, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,I was just wondering are there any decent Violin Basses out there at an affordable price for a 15yr old?Christmas approaches see and I can't really ask my parents for a Hofner:eek:
    What about the Tanglewood violin bass>Anyone tried that?
    Any info appreciated,
    regards Morgan.

2. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    Check out the Höfner Ignition, it's under $300 and has a genuine Höfner headstock ;)

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The Hofner Ignition is the same as the Hofner Icon, which are decent basses for about $350USD. Also, Rogue and Jay Turser get good marks and are a bit cheaper.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got a Brice I picked up used, it's not too shabby.
    Rondo's got the Douglas version available now, looks like it's got fewer frills, but very similar:

http://www.rondomusic.com/wvebblk.html

it runs about $150

5. team180b

team180b

May 15, 2008
    Sydney
    Well there are some insanely cheap ones on eBay, like $250 bucks or something. Everyone really raves about the Jay Turser violin copies too the sound is supposed to be quite good. If you do want a hofner though get a Hofner Icon series. They're cheap and come in lots of different cool colours!

6. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I have one of those.
    P1010060.
    Great player! Get some flats for it and you've got a great Beatle bass (but I'd get a case as soon as possible). Why pay more?

7. I have a Rogue violin bass from Musician's Friend -- $199 and a real decent player. I eventually bought a hardshell case for it I liked it that much.

8. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    Ignition series, actually the low end Hofner, comes only in sunburst and black.

9. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I just sold my Epiphone Viola... I loved it, but never played it any more... I can vouch for those if you find a good deal on it...