1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Voltage change US > EU

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by enrik, Apr 12, 2006.

1. enrik

enrik

Apr 12, 2006
    Hello,

I just moved to Europe from the US with a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB head (the older ones) and I would like to know how to change the voltage from 110v to 220v. Do I have to open it and look for a switch inside?

Please help, I have a gig soon! :)

Thank you in advance!

enrik
    PS: I don't wanna take it to a shop. I'm broke :p

2. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    This is fairly simple to do...
    If you have a switching regulator inside the amp, then it is a switch inside the amp, usually... If you have a transformer inside the amp, then you re-wire the primary taps for 220V...
    I can guide you through this if need be..But you need to do all these things with the amp NOT plugged in..
    You will need to get a new AC cord... The same cord used on computers in your country will be correct..
    Let me research the schematic to find which way to do it....

Chris

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am sure if you e-mail GK, they can tell you exactly how to do this. They have a multi-tap transformer in those so you can just switch a couple of wires (maybe even one) and get the proper cord (or adapter).

4. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    if you can't get it done yourself, find someone with a transformer. i know in the uk alot of power tools are 110v and require a transformer; so just ask around.... if you're near a us military base make freinds with one of them, those who live off base will get them issued and may let you use one.....

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

It's simpler than that to get the amp switched over. They are built for it. Whereas a conversion transformer that can provide the multiple hundred watts it takes to run the amp at volume are very expensive and hard to find.