1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

voltage question..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ludwig109, Mar 7, 2008.

1. just received my new gk1001rbII head in the mail..
    havent gt a cab t plug into it yet.. being delivered sooon hopefully, but bored as i was i started looking over the back and found it says
    for 120v 60hz use only
    im here in ireland and i think ours is 220V 50Hz... not totally sure n that but think s anyway.. nw big question will it explode if i plug it in

well will it be ok in general and is there anything i need to make it ok to use here... thanks

keep in mid ive got no idea what im talking about. plus the kettle plug i gt sent has 250v written on it.

2. if the amp is saying its only 120V the nyou are going to need a power inverter, i say need, not could us, NEED

3. just found a bit in the manual that says its configured for use with 240v europe and a few others 220v 50hz korea so id say im ok, right?

4. maybe, id want to contact GK first to be safe though

5. make sure you did not get a model for US/Japan. Modern amps now don't need a voltage selector since the power supply adjusts to input voltage automatically. However this may not be the cause for you, it could be that
    1. they got the wrong sticker on there,and you should be fine
    2. they got the right sticker and you need to send it back
    3. they have the wrong sticker but it is self adjusting on the voltage, then you are fine.
    Are you sure there is not a switch to choose input voltage?

I would ask somebody around you who has GK amps, or call GK customer service. In any case do not plug it in before being sure!!!!

6. snet gk an email there anyway... anyone know if theyre quick to reply? kinda wanna turn it on and look at the pretty lights:O

thanks for the advice anyway.. anyone with experiience in something like this? anyne in uk or ireland bought from gk or even smething american and had a problem?

7. Ive not had that issue (my SVT is marked 120v but it has been modified).

Dont give in to the temptation to plug it in. You could very easily fry the amp.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Don't plug it in.
    From the manual. Just ring up whoever you bought it from and ask them

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    US 110v AC plugs won't go into a 220v outlet.

10. But it appears the unit is using a kettle plug (IEC) socket. And you can get cables for US sockets and UK sockets which both have IEC sockets on the end.

11. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Of course, but it's safe to assume that a 220v model would be shipped with a 220v cord, a 110 v model with a 110v cord. If the cord received doesn't fit into the wall socket then you know you've got a problem.

12. True, but i'd still be more than a little weary about the amp having 110v printed on the chassis.

13. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    +1 Good advice.

But I think the amp would be fine due to less line current.

14. no reply from gallien yet... ill give thomann (german company i bought it off a ring tomorow, its a well known company over here not random shop or anything so im hoping they wouldnt send me a cable that would go up in flames or whatever...

15. 1001RB markII can be internally configured to 120v, 100v, 230v and will be currently set to one of them. Make sure you know which it is before plugging it in- if the amp is configured to 110V (which it sounds like it probably is) then you will need to get it switched over to 230v first.

Whats written on the cord means nothing- the guy could have grabbed the one off his computer and thrown it in the box. Same thing.

16. Agreed.

17. found another sticker by the power.. its tiny and im fairly blind so i blame gk for not thinking about the blind:p seems more right anyway... still dunno why they have the 120v aswell there, confusing!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

think ill be alright so?...
    the iec i was given says 250v but im guessing thats the max it can have and the country being 220v it shouldnt be able to go above that... right?...

if i do turn it on anyway since i have no speaker at the moment can i plug in some headphones, im guessing into the tuner out/effects loop or something

18. Ah, I think in that second pic, it's saying that the SA standard or whatever only applies to the use 120V usage. Or something. Likely that's just a default part of that logo thingy.

I think you are safe all things considered.

You bought it from a shop there, right, not a private seller in the US?

19. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It's marked C and US, for Canada and United States, and they do it so they don't have to paint different back panels for every market.

20. Yeah I reckon too... refers to the logo. I can see why its confusing.
    How did you come about getting a 230V amp from the US anyway?