1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

volume loss

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shafty Magee, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Shafty Magee

Shafty Magee

Feb 12, 2011
    I usually keep my mxr bass di+ on clean at all times when I play live. However, whenever I try to use the distortion channel, there is a significant volume loss in the mix. Is there any way to get around this?

2. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Distortion is by its very nature also compression. So your dynamic "center" is probably suddenly much lower. If you have some kind of boost on your distortion unit you should crank it up. Or add like a limiter between it and the di and crank the threshold down to make it more sensitive to quieter sounds.

I solve this with a Zoom B2, which allows me to set different gain levels and limiter thresholds for each effect/amp combination. There are some limitations with that approach but maybe a volume pedal or EQ unit -- anything that allows you to increase the gain with distortion.

3. The MXR Distortion channel has a volume control too.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 each side has it's own volume control. Find the point of unity gain on each.