1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VT Bass convert

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Ok, I have resisted for 2 years now buying a VT Bass. I own a BDDI and it has served me well. I finally purchased the VT Bass and did an A/B testing.

Ok, I get it now. Certainly the BDDI is a fine piece of equipment. It will always go to gigs with me as my emergency backup amp, but on my pedal board, I can see running the VT Bass all the time.

I guess an old dog can learn a few new tricks

2. Nice Pedal, The Deluxe one is even better with the DI and programmable settings!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    pedal of the future.

4. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Owning a BDDI for many many years, I recently rescued it from the bottom of my pedal drawer and took it to a recording session where I found it sounds really nice.
    I'd love to A/B both.
    Could you describe a bit more what you have found about them?
    Thank you.

5. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    VT bass thread , JimmyM. Surprise Surprise.....

6. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I guess the biggest thing I noticed when I A/B the BDDI and VT Bass was I found the BDDI gave more of a modern tube/ bass sound where I felt the VT is more organic and oldstyle tube amp.

I know I'm not doing either of them with my lame descriptions but I also feel the VT was easier to put back some of the mids back in where in the BDDI you can as well but it takes more fiddling with the bass and treble knobs to do it.

To mee the BDDI is designed not so much to imitate a SVT but can get a similar type sound. Whereas, I see the VT more of a direct attempt to simulate that exact sound.

I hope that help. Maybe other users could elaborate better than I can.

7. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Thank you very much Medford
    Yeah, I could get a really nice "grit" from BDDI.

I mean, I don't mind spend $150 on a pedal but don't want to do that if they sound similar.

8. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    I finally got around to buying myself the VT deluxe.Although I don`t nearly have enough time to fiddle around and find all the settings I`d like to have,the few I do have I really enjoy. And more importantly,my band mates really enjoy. I`ve got just the right amount of fuzz/grit/dirt/whatever you want to call it coming through without being overwhelming. As my guitar player/best friend said to me after practice "Hey,your bass finally got it`s balls back!" `Nuff said.

9. Wait'll you get it suped-up by Mike Putnam....

You know you will....

10. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Does anyone see a reason why running a VT Bass into a SVT-2 PRO would be a bad/dumb/redundant thing to do? I'd like to get a VT Bass or BDDI for demoing stuff at home, but I'd also like an overdrive for live use, and would like to have as little money invested in pedals as possible.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i do it all the time. when i was using the vt, it was an overdrive. and now i use the vt deluxe and i keep it always on.