1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VT Bass Rackmount...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MJ_Sotti, Oct 16, 2013.

1. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    It's here, fired it up took it for a ride very very very nice. Looks great too.

2. Does it have a defeat switch for the speaker sim circuit?

3. MJ_Sotti

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    No speaker sim. It's like a V1 in a rack

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

So, any more thoughts on the VT-RM?

I don't know why I torture myself... I already have an RBI and an RPM. :p

Ebelow likes this.
  5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Just finished incorporating it. It adds a nice character to my setup. I'm mixing preamps in parallel, so it's only part of the path.

Here's the rig now (or at least the sound making parts of it)

- B3K - Monique - Palmer PDI 05
    - Avalon U5
    - VT Bass Rack

Subtracted an RBI and RPM and don't think I'll be missing them at all.

Monique is definitely the star of the show, but the VT adds a nice freshly-squeezed OD flavor to the mix.

dupseb likes this.
  6. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any chance of getting a picture of the back panel on this thing?

I can't seem to find one on-line...

7. MJ_Sotti

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    The back panel seems to be the same as a rbi or rpm...nicely planned out

8. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks!

(I found a drawing of it in the PDF of the manual...)

9. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    That's very unfortunate as I like to use the B-15 setting on my VT Bass Pedal V2 the most and that emulation sounds best to my ear with the 10" speaker sim defeated. It's kind of surprising that Tech 21 would come out with the DI pedal version with features that are not included on the more expensive rack mount version.

10. MJ_Sotti

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    All I'll say is this, the recommended SVT settings that come with the manual are very nice. I have a precision with a 10 position tone Styler and I don't have to touch the amp at all just work through my settings on the bass

I've been waiting a long time for this, and I'm very happy

11. Indeed.
    I'm surprised the speaker sim enable/disable button is absent from the VTRM.
    I have it on my v2 VT Bass Pedal.

As to the back panel layout, I suspect this is a planned feature.
    It allows them to use the same chassis for RBI, RPM, and VTRM.
    It also allows a commonality for connecting multiple boxes, the footswitch in/out, etc, etc. Applause for Tech21 here.

So far Tech21 has done something rare: no engineering changes on the boards for either RBI or RPM over the product life.
    This means an old one has exactly the same guts as the latest production model.
    Again, more applause for Tech21.

12. I bought this of of TB'r Kringle77:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/custom-di-preamp-hpf3-vt2-mid-di-phantom-939320/

It's a premium piece of gear! I really use the Fdeck to control the seemingly loose low end with some cabs, and I cant imagine using it without the Putnam semi-para-mid-trick mid control. Its the highlight of this particular rack.

I love the VT Bass pedal on recording or as a pre for a small practice amp as its natural compression and huge low end can often make a small cab sound bigger. I think most people who would be using rack gear are likely using the VTRM with full gig size enclosures.

Do you guys who have the VTRM ever find the low end unruly or even a lack of presence in the mid region?

13. Fuzzbass

Awhile back I got a VT Deluxe pedal in a fit of GAS. I wanted to try the VT tone for myself, and thought the presets could be useful. I brought it to a couple of gigs... not enough to really get to know it. I quickly realized I did not like pedals cluttering my stage space. So, I mostly forgot about it, and then lent it to a friend.

I just got the VTD back, and it sounds great with my little practice amp. That said, I'm going to gig the VTD a couple of times before I put money down on the VTRM. As you've noted, what sounds good for recording/home rehearsal won't necessarily work at the gig. If I can get the pedal to please me at the gig then I'll sell it and add the VTRM to my preamp collection.

14. Ditto, but I will sell my new VT Bass v2 pedal, and the SVP-Pro.

15. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I gave one a run-through yesterday. My impressions:
    Like all Tech 21 products, excellent quality and very flexible. Lightweight, yet solid.
    Between the Drive and Character knobs, I could dial in a wide variety of sounds - vintage clean to vintage mud, modern crispy cleans to stank & gank. The Blend control is really useful.
    EQ: Very wide-ranging changes at B, M, and T.
    DI: Didn't try it yet. I'm sure it is the same as the DI on the RPM and RBI - excellent.

Run into a Crest Prolite power amp, it makes for a lightweight and versatile rig. I could see many a bassist loving this for gigs and studio sessions.

Cons: the flipside of knobs that create huge changes is that a slight nudge of a knob completely changes your sound - much more so than with most bass amps. This is why I stopped using the Character pedals long ago. Not a problem in a studio setting, but a potential mess live. Being rack-mounted should help.
    Also, great as they sound, the Tech21 preamps do not respond like a $2000 tube amp. If they did, used tube amps would be selling for scrap metal prices. Will the audience care? Probably not.

Overall, a nice evolutionary product from the smart folks at Tech 21. Thanks!

16. What is your take on the Drive, and the amount/type of grind it produces?

17. Fuzzbass

I've been tinkering with my VT Deluxe pedal, and have noticed the same thing. You mentioned the Blend knob: I agree, this should be extremely useful. If you reduce Blend from full then you'll get less of the VT flavor, but the upside should be that tweaking knobs on the VT won't affect your overall tone as much.

When I get the knobs set just right then the SansAmps can get close to power tube grind -- this is rarely true for tube preamps. That said, I agree that there's nothing like an all-tube amp (but I don't love 'em enough to deal with the bulk and weight).

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Pics?

Eminor3rd likes this.
  19. Fuzzbass

Ok, so I've been giving my VT Deluxe pedal a workout. I know, it's not the VTRM, but it's got the VT tone circuit. I've been running it into my home practice amp, and last Saturday I gigged the VT Deluxe for the first time. I ran it into the front of a MarkBass SD800 set flat, which pushed my Berg NV115 cab.

Makes me want the VTRM because: it has an amazing range of tones. Many do justice to the classic SVT (I have very little experience with the B-15), and the pedal does a great job of modeling power tube warmth. I spent most of my time using my Sadowsky P5 with Fender flats, and I'm especially impressed with how well the VT sounds with this bass.

Makes me uncertain about the VTRM because: it didn't work quite as well when I used my Sadowsky P and MM fivers strung with rounds. I got some cool sounds, but the mids seemed a little thin even with onboard EQ set flat. I'm not sure I like the 1kHz center on the VT mid: it's OK, but why not 200 or 800 as on the SVT? Also, I discovered that I like being able to store six tone presets, and the VTRM doesn't have this feature. I set up the pedal with a slap setting, a fat fingerstyle setting, a kinda-fuzzy setting for the bass break in "Dance to the Music", and three more moderate flavors.

Rebuttals to the uncertainty: I think all I need to do for killer roundwound tones is experiment more. Also, unlike the pedal, the VTRM has a Blend control, which is awesome. Finally, I don't NEED presets... I'm normally a set-it-and-forget-it guy when it comes to tone (for volume, gotta keep up with the gui**** :p)

Who am I kidding... I'm gonna get the VTRM. :ninja:

20. I came to that decision, and it arrives the end of the week.
    I'm downsizing all my other preamps and pedals to an RPM+VTRM and footswitch.
    My needs are a set-and-forget playing tone, and a solo/boost tone.