Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

W Eberle Bass @ Upton Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mattwells, Jan 10, 2004.

1. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    I am looking around for a bass and have played quite a few (without falling in love with any of them), but they were all plywoods (some old some new) and most needed a little bit of repair and set-up. This bass http://www.uptonbass.com/bass_main.asp is one I thought looks like a good deal. There is no way I can try it out first (I live in GA), but am wondering if anyone has played on it (or has any information on the company). I have heard great things about Gary Upton, so am less hesitant to buy a sight-unseen bass from him. Any input appreciated.

Matt

2. I can't comment on that particular bass or anything, but I used to have a plywood bass labeled William Eberle. I had a good setup done on it and I think a new fingerboard, and it was a very good bass. Sometimes I wish I hadn't sold it, mostly because the setup I had on it was so good... But the bass itself was built like a tank; very nice. The only bad thing was the godawful shiny finish, and the machines were pretty cheezy too. :bawl:

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    It's crazy to buy a bass without trying it. It's like marrying someone by mail !!!
    If you can't travel get a trial period of at least 2 weeks with a money-back garantied.

4. I recently bought a plywood eberle and have really been enjoying playing on it - great sustain, decent volume and nice upper register. The only downers are the finish (too shiny) and the back of the neck is finished so ym thumb sticks sometimes. I tried several other basses - Kohr, strunal and some cheapo chines stuff and the Eberle was the best thing I could afford.

5. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    The W Eberle bass came from the Musima factory in East Germany - the bass, the factory and the country are all just history now ...

6. My Eberle was built in Germany - I have assumed it is a Musima, though it is hard to find much info on Eberles on the web. Why do you say it is "history" now? Just because german reunification?

7. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Before he died my dad was a string instrument importer for about 50 years. Eberle was one of his lines .. so I know something about what went on.
    Now it seems that since Musima disappeared the Eberle has become more desirable as it is no longer made and whatever is out there is it for that name.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    There are Eberle lams, hybrids, and carved shown on the "European Double Basses" ad at the top of this page. Are those the last of 'em, or something else entirely?

9. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    That's my site .. if you read the FAQ on the site you'll understand better. It very well could be that these are the last of them although it also could be that Musima sold basses to others in the US while they were still operating however my dad loved to buy and he bought so many I doubt they could have made very many more buts its just a guess.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ah, gotcha, thanks. Missed the FAQ on the first pass.

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I know this is an odd question to ask [i shot you an email-i'm sorry i didn't see the prices on the website-feel stupid now], but how long do you think the basses will be around? Tax time is near and so is a good refund :) Like are the basses selling fast?

That's all and thanks.

12. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    I put the prices up for the Eberle and Roma basses on the site .. so you can check those now. I haven't put the Wilfer prices up yet but I'll get to it hopefully in the next few days ... there are just so many different models. I also have these Czech basses but I'm still not sure exactly how many. That might take a few weeks yet. As to how long will I have all the basses? Good question. I hope not too long but I have a warehouse full of them .. a large warehouse.

13. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    So you can tell us the fate of the Musima factory ?

14. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Do I know what happened to the Musima work tables, the tools, the makers and their apprentices or the factory walls .. can't say that I do. I assume it was privatized and either sold off in pieces as happened elsewhere in the east or sold to someone in a related field .. ie furniture making or maybe as happened in Luby Czechloslavakia where they made all the Czech basses which I also have plenty of, the factory was sold off in whole and reopened and remained manufacturing exactly what it had been making during the "old days" - but if that's what happened at Musima I doubt anyone there would be using the W Eberle name anymore.

15. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Thanks Greene, I appreciate your input

Why not, what's special about it ?

16. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Musical instruments especially string instruments are usually made two different ways .. either by larger factories in an assembly line fashion, or crafted by hand usually by a single maker. Those that come from the factories are more often then not, sold without labels and are then marketed under different names. That enables the dealer to buy from different factories and use the same name .. so you might have a John Smith Cello that actually was made in three different factories and possibly more then one country. Unless I'm mistaken the W Eberle name didn't belong to Musima but actually originated closer to home .. as such I do believe the name exists only on those instruments that are already in circulation and that's it.

17. Those are great prices on the Eberles! I limited myself to what I could play in town on the spot here in Minneapolis and paid way too much for my Eberle plywood ($2,500)but it seemed in line with what the other similar basses were selling for in the shops. I figured I got taken on that deal - now I know I did! Oh well, I was anxious to get started playing DB, and it was pretty well set-up, and it is a tank of a bass, which is good cause I am one clumsy fool. However, the Eberle was by far the best bass I tried under $3,000. The step up would have been a Sun bass for $6K, and all of the $1,200 basses in stock were garbage.

18. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Look I have to be clear about something. What you paid for the Eberle was in fact a fair price for a dealer to charge you. Dealers are not in the same position as I am and frankly I thought long and hard about what I was about to do by offering out basses for less then cost. But my choices were limited in that I could have probably sold everything to a few dealers and then they would have marked everything up and the prices would have remained basically the same or I could do what I decided to do and that was to just try and offer them for what they cost and let everyone enjoy the benefits. The dealers will just have to wait until my inventory is exhausted. Also because I really think its a bad idea to buy anything on line - because you should play the bass you buy, at least get to see it, I assumed whoever would be interested would either be close to New York or be willing to fly in which would enable the dealers in most of the country to protect themselves. Having said all of that although yes you could have bought an Eberle from me for a much lower price and that of course would have made you happy, the price you did pay was the fair price. That dealer is in business to make a profit which enables him to be there when you need him. I'm interested in eliminating a monthly warehouse rent so making a profit on basses is really not what I'm concerned about ... but it's only going to last until the bass supply ends and then I'm on to the hundreds of cellos I have. But seriously, you really didn't pay too much .. you paid the fair and usual price give or take a few bucks. Jeeez the dealers are gonna hate me but I have to do what I have to do. And if you really want to feel bad ... just think ... you could have bought a Wilfer from me for under 3 grand. Now that's something to feel bad about. Just kidding ....

19. Thanks for the response Greene,

I don't feel like a chump anymore. The killer part is with the money I would have saved I could have taken a road trip to NYC!

Good luck on unloading all those basses and cellos.

20. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Cellos .. Oh man, please not yet ... I will tell you the choices from what I'm finding are going to be (Roma)Romanian, Eberle, Semmlinger, Roth, Czech (Wenzel Kohler), Suzuki and some Korean cellos. And in all sizes and types. Its mind boggling. I think my dad believed the more instruments he bought the longer he'd stay alive. As an arranger myself I've come to know the interesting and different types of players .. how they so often reflect their instrument - and cellists are certainly not bassists. But I never gave much thought to the players that double ... guess I ought to think about it soon .. real soon.