Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wailers bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by devain21to7, Jun 28, 2004.

1. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    I was listening to alot of Bob Marley Live at the Roxy yesterday and I noticed that the bassist has this real kool jungle sounding thump.

Does anyone know what bass hes playing or what effects or something???

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Aston "Family Man" Barrett. Sunburst Fender Jazz with a rosewood board, no FX. Here I am backstage with him earlier this month. We opened for them and Parliament/Funkadelic.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I imagine he uses flats to get that serious thump. You don't happen to know, do you Woodchuck?

4. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    Seriously , as tame as Marleys music may be, that bass is like full on funk.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Aston "Family Man" Barrett IS THE MAN! Exodus is the best example of recorded bass there is! It's also the first song I ever learned. And you better believe them is flats.

6. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    Exodous huh??? All ive got is live at the Roxy, but ill look into that one.

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Keep in mind this is IMO. But like all Bob Marley albums the bass is thicker then hell. It also is one of the better "sounding" records out there.

8. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Dude, you opened for Aston Barrett and P/Funk??! That's freaking awesome! I'm so jealous. Does your band have a CD out?

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Exodus is a song. It's on the Best Of album that came out many moons ago. My personal favorite Marley tune is "Buffalo Soldier", but any of the songs you could find always, always have this buttery-smooth, so thick you'd need a machete to cut it bass tone. I figured they were flats, but I'm more curious what kind he's using.

Aston cemented my decision to give flats a go.

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    ON A ALBUM CALLED EXODUS :rolleyes:
    My second favorite song on that ALBUM is natural mystic.