1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wal Bass Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddio, Sep 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Question for you folks...have any of you cleaned up oxidized pole pieces on your Wals? Mine is an 84 MKI I got from someone in a warm and humid climate, so some of the pole pieces are "dirty/dark colored/not bright and shiny". I tried both denatured alcohol and CLR and, though it did get some of the gunk off, they still arent as shiny as I would like them. Wondered if any of you had any tips?

2. nibs208

nibs208

Sep 10, 2007
    The Mk. 2 needed a restring and fret polish so brought her into work to do in my spare time. Threw some nickle Lo-Riders on there to see what thats all about. Got me thinking "Did I ever post more pics on TalkBass?" Looks like I only posted the on to get my number way back in 2013. Anyways here's a few of my baby. Four string fretted Mk. 2 with rather understated birdseye maple facings. Cheers!

kasroc, Toolmybass, 10cc and 9 others like this.
  3. nibs208

nibs208

Sep 10, 2007
    One more because I’m a sucker for a good angle.

kasroc, Toolmybass, Mattia and 7 others like this.
  4. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    that bass is still looking great! 5 or 6 years you’ve had it now, right?

5. nibs208

nibs208

Sep 10, 2007
    Yep. It will be five in October. How time flies. May be time for number two in the near future. Maybe.

6. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    My 2014 MKI has a new sibling. I’m trying to introduce them to each other slowly. Apologies for the non-Wal content. 825F0DCC-1EDC-43AB-89FA-FFEDC1E8D88F. ;)

GTHintz, gmacg, kasroc and 5 others like this.
  7. mslayen

mslayen

Mar 25, 2018
    I have the same pairing but different finishes

8. zomnius

zomnius

May 28, 2007
    great amp too!

j.kernodle and 10cc like this.
  9. zomnius

zomnius

May 28, 2007
    Schermafbeelding 2018-06-06 om 00.40.21.

Attached Files:

nibs208 and djaxup like this.
  10. I really love wenge Wals. Looks like a midi MK2?

11. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

No need to apologize! Wal and Rics is always a lovely pairing!

Pics? :smug:

kasroc and nibs208 like this.
  12. mslayen

mslayen

Mar 25, 2018
    weird camera trick makes the Ric look much smaller.

Attached Files:

Caca de Kick, j.kernodle and kulit17 like this.
  13. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    I see a John 5 plectrum!! Did you catch this in person Zom? If so, what show?

14. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
  15. nbsipics

nbsipics Bass Plasma Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
  16. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    Hahaha absolutely no chance. One step away from the wife making me sleep in a tent out back.

nbsipics likes this.
  17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Are you working someplace different again?

18. nibs208

nibs208

Sep 10, 2007
    I was but I’m back at the shop again. Feels good to be back. Working around things and people that I actually care about do wonder to my sanity.

gmacg, djaxup and Caca de Kick like this.
  19. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Hi, i'm thinking of trying to hunt down and purchase a Wal bass. I'm currently borrowing a friends 1981 Wal custom Mk1 and I have a question for owners. Do they all have a V shape? My friends has a soft V and is slightly flares before the fret board before feeling like its rolled so it doesn't feel "sharp". Its one of the few neck shapes that actually cramps my hand with low playing hours. Anyone kind of had to have a learning curve with left hand technique because of the Wal neck? I really love the sound and want to try to buy second hand. Just fear they may be all alike in shape.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  20. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Im not sure if they are all exactly the same, especially the old ones, but my 84 MKI has a pronounced V shape. It doesnt cramp my hand but it makes some things harder to play and i have a harder time muting. Its not a huge deal and the more I play it the easier it gets but its something that does affect me. So IMO the only tip would be to play it alot. And I asked Paul about this and he said they make all the necks the same way/shape.

ampegfuzz likes this.