Wal Bass Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddio, Sep 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    When I built my Fender Master Built Jazz with ebony and Abalone block in late 2006 they charged me $800 for it... so seems pretty fair in todays money.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    BWorm and Les Fret like this.
  2. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35

You don't want to know then how much is cost for neck binding then......:greedy:

Blackhawks55, SamJ, BWorm and 2 others like this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Gotta admit, I am surprised -- but thrilled -- that an ebony fingerboard is such a (comparatively) reasonably priced option!

SamJ likes this.
  4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My 2020 order sheet has ebony board option at £220 on a Mk1

Bob_Ross, bass08053 and SamJ like this.
  5. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    @mikeswals answered this in this post - Wal Bass Club..

The pickle is, the measurements are not in a standard format that can be easily replicated - e.g. ‘from the centre of the 12th fret to the centre of the pickup’. They are in a format which can really only be replicated exactly if you own a Wal, and not much by anyone else.

I too am planning a build, in my case a Wal Mk2-alike, as I frankly cannot afford a Wal, and even if I could, I cannot manage a 4 year wait for one, which seems to be the lead time on the website. But I have not managed to yet find this information either, and may have to estimate it from photos.

6. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Does a fretless (lined) board cost extra? I guess for fretless they use ebony as default?

7. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No extra cost there. Correct.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    BWorm and Les Fret like this.
  8. Janforth

Janforth Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    That’s another reason why I am puzzled that a fretless (where an ebony fingerboard is standard) seems to bring a lesser resale, when ebony is an up charge on a fretted Wal. Also, the opposite is the case for Ibanez Musician basses where the fretless brings more $ on resale market. To me, the resale value is the same be it fretted or fretless, I gravitate more to my fretless mk1, but that’s me.

9. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    That always puzzled me too. I guess Tool has a lot to do with it. And fretted basses are generally more popular than fretless. But for me a fretless Wal is the Wal sound.

reynhart, Iofflight and Chickenwheels like this.
  10. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Supporting Member

+1

bass08053 and Les Fret like this.
  11. Janforth

Janforth Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    I love the fretless Wal sound a bit more, but overall, really both the fretted and fretless are the Wal sound, so basically the Wal sound is the Wal sound, isn’t it.

12. syntap

syntap

Dec 7, 2020
    Anyone know what strings Paul stocks on a fretless? My notes (from here I'm sure) say he stocks D'Addario XL Nickel Wound on fretted.

13. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    There are fewer fretless players out there. Less market. Thats why

TrevorR and bass08053 like this.
  14. Yep. Nothing sounds quite like a fretless Wal. Or a fretted Wal.

15. BigBrownBass

BigBrownBass

Jan 26, 2020
    UK
    Whole triple album recorded using a Wal 5 string Mk3 and a 5 string Mk3 fretless. Have a listen or even buy it ; )
    New album came out 6th of November

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    djaxup, Chickenwheels, 2112 and 4 others like this.
  16. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    supply = demand... fretless players, especially ones willing to pony up north of $10K for a bass are few..

17. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    Any idea what it could cost to put frets on a fretless neck?

18. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    to have Paul do it I would imagine at least 500 pounds. Plus shipping two ways. Over $1200 Us.

19. kulit17

I had it done once locally on a fretless Pro i I owned and it cost about $500. It was the late Jim Mourdian, but his son Jon is still in the business. His shop is in Wilmington now.

BWorm likes this.
  20. kulit17

Yup seems to be true on left handed Wals and 5er. Demand on these aren't typically high compared to regular fretted 4 bangers, so they tend to sit long if priced too high.

SamJ likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2021