Wal Bass Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddio, Sep 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Supporting Member

The seller identifies it as “a ‘Bass Brace’ strap lock on the bottom of the body”, but one would think (or, at least, *I* would think) that on a bass with an upper horn that extends to the 12th fret, neck dive should not be an issue to begin with. Draw your own conclusions.

2. Janforth

Janforth Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    Being a huge Rush and Geddy Lee fan, that was not the first time that I heard a Wal bass, I believe it was in 1982 on Roxy Music’s Avalon album with Alan Spenner, followed by Rupert Hine produced albums by The Fixx (Dan K. Brown is awesome), and Peter Collins produced albums by Nik Kershaw, then, of course Rush! Though I love Geddy Lee’s Wal tone, it comes in second, just behind his Rickenbacker tone on albums Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Exit Stage Left, and Signals.

ThomasTronics likes this.
  3. Janforth

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    I believe that is a reversed headstock(not sure), cause there is this headstock, which looks to be strung normal.
    ECAB0A64-7C0F-4910-A71D-46B5C85BA728.jpeg

4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    The Extended B was an option on custom builds. Not sure if they still offer it.

Janforth likes this.
  5. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Supporting Member

If you go to the most recent Fodera “Newborn Gallery” (Fodera), 3 out of the first 12 basses shown have the extended B headstock, so I have to believe that it remains an option.

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I’ve seen that on a few other basses, but I don’t recall whether it is original on this bass.

7. ThomasTronics

ThomasTronics

Nov 21, 2011
    Windsor
    Agree with this fully. Although I love the bass sound of the mid to late 80s of Geddy, the Wal and small strings don't give that beefy bass growl I love. #1 bass tone though is def Counterparts which was back to the Jazz, some compression and flamenco style which I think he started using all the time around this time.

Janforth likes this.
  8. 21DaHoagie12

21DaHoagie12

Feb 21, 2019
    New Jersey
    I love the overall counterparts mix, but I think test for echo has my fav geddy jazz bass tone.. power windows though, still love geddys wal tone on that album :D

Janforth likes this.
  9. Janforth

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    My favorite “Wal era” Geddy Lee tone was on the Power Windows album. I know that he used Peter Collins’ MK1, but I think that the production had something to do with how great that Wal tone came across.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    HeavyJazz likes this.
  10. So Peter Collins produced Nik Kershaw?
    Does that mean Nik played Peter’s Wal on Human Racing? If so that bass has quite a legacy!

Janforth likes this.
  11. Janforth

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    Not sure what bass was used, Peter Collins produced his first and second albums, people have said that Nik Kershaw albums had both Wal and Jaydee basses, so I don’t truly know, I hear Wal, I know a Jaydee was used for the one song (titled Easy) that Mark King played on off the Riddle album.

*edit* after listening to some Jaydee basses on YouTube, there may have been a Jaydee bass used on a bunch of Nik Kershaw tunes.

Chickenwheels likes this.
  12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    A bass line doesn't have to be adventerous for a player to have fantastic bass tone.
    Dan K of The Fixx always has killer bass tone, but also simple meat & potatoes bass lines. This is more my speed.

handofseven, djaxup, BWorm and 3 others like this.
  13. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    True. I just don’t see the connection between Zombie and this Waldera. So I am puzzled why it is mentioned in the ad. Zombie is played on a Stingray I think.

14. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I guess thats the great debate: I've only heard it was played on a Wal.
    Mike Hogan has owned both for decades, so maybe someday someone will ask him.

15. 21DaHoagie12

21DaHoagie12

Feb 21, 2019
    New Jersey
    Zombie sounds wayyyy more like a wal than a stingray in my opinion

djaxup likes this.
  16. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    And, of course he also had a Wal neck and (possibly replacement) body with Jazz pickups in it…

17. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah, the jazz mongrel. Seems to have been very early in his career. But once he got a real one that was it.
    I wonder if he had any more than the Mk2 and Mk3?

18. His live bassist liked the Jaydee, but the Wal always lurked nearby!
    Some strong Wal sounds in both albums, but the Jaydee bridge pickup ain’t a slouch either!

Janforth, djaxup and Les Fret like this.
  19. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    In the video clip he uses a Musicman. Saw Some live footage of Zombie. he used that Waljazz. In a later show he used a Wal mk2. So still unsure what he used on the record. Does sound like any bass to me not specifically a Wal. Guess we never know for sure.

TrevorR likes this.
  20. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My practice partner for the evening.

20211123_210014.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021