1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Martizmo, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    What do you guys think of Warmoth

2. there cool if you want to combine different interments or make something custom

3. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Good wood. Necks are a bit thick and heavy but very very stable. I've had a few full basses and some parts by them and I'd buy more. Every part I've had from them has been top notch and while their finishes are a but pricey they do a great job.

Watching the showcase is the way to go unless you really need some oddball custom stuff. You can see exactly what you're going to get and they post the weight of the bodies.

4. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    My main bass is a Warmoth and I think they are great. The necks are a bit chunky, but I've gotten use to it.

5. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

I love the bodies but the necks I do not like. But all of their stuff is top notch. And yes, the Showcase is the way to fly unless you want something really outside. I've been gassing for one of their "hollow J" bodies for awhile. I'd bet it would sound awesome. )-(

6. Kyler_Welsch

Kyler_Welsch

Jan 14, 2009
    Richland, WA
    Outstanding. I had a Gecko 6 that's actually in the customer gallery. I ended up selling it only because I wanted different options and weight. I'm seriously considering a fretless five Gecko with options I'd like more and to bring down the weight.

7. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Good stuff.

Has anyone played one made of swamp ash? Do you like the tone?

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
  9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I use my Warmoth as my only practice bass. It sits waiting for me every week. Without fail it is a great bass. I played it onstage for nearly a year while I was learning how to play 5 string. I love the balance and the feel of the neck. The only thing I do not like is the pickup placement. I have mine as a single MM5 pickup and it is mounted a little forward for my tastes, but a very minor thing.

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Both of my basses are alder Warmoth bodies. I have a Jazz and a G4 from them. Both were very different and both were equally exceptional. Great customer service to go along with their fine products.

11. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    My main four string is a Warmoth and I'm that happy with it that I bought an SX as a practice bass, so I don't put the Warmoth in harm's way unnecessarily; I keep it specifically for playing out. I don't plan to buy any other four strings, and if I had to grab one bass in the event of a fire, it'd be the Warmoth.

2448084355_90a5a7d62b.
    2448087489_1926e34c5f.
    2448071747_6bae73db4b.

12. mikebass79

mikebass79

Apr 15, 2009
    Will warmoth build a bass for you or just sell you the parts?

13. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Just the parts.

14. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I had a Warmoth bass, which has now become 1.5 Warmoth basses (and eventually will become 2 Warmoth basses).

Originally it was a 5-string fretless Jazz clone with Warmoth neck, Warmoth body, EMG J pickups, EMG BTC preamp, Wilkinson bridge, and Schaller machines.

About a year ago I commisioned Michael Dolan to build a custom fretted 8-string neck for that Warmoth body...added a Schaller bridge, Gotoh machines, and now that's my main 8-string, a Warmoth/Dolan hybrid Frankenbass.

Plus I've still got that Warmoth fretless 5-string neck, calling out to me, begging, imploring me to build it up into another complete bass. So that'll happen eventually.

In summary: Warmoth Good. I'd certainly own another.

15. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I own a Warmoth fretless jazz and I owned a Warmoth 8-string P/J. The bodies are great, The fretless jazz neck is a little chunky and heavy but I wanted a 24 fret ebony fingerboard neck. The 8-string neck was way too chunky (boatneck contour) and heavy. They have steel bars in their necks and their fingerboards are thick. Conclusion: Bodies great, Necks O.K

16. /Slight derail

When did Warmoth start putting the steel bars in their necks? I ask because I see so many people saying thier necks are chunkier than the usual Fender/Allparts/etc. necks

I have a Warmoth fretless neck from around 1990 that is not chunky at all.Actually its very thin...........

Is the steel bar thing a more recent development?

\end derail

17. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    They've been putting steel bars in the neck more or less as long as they've been in business, from what I remember. It was their "claim to fame" back in the 80s when they first came out, they the necks would never warp or twist because of the steel bars. (This was before graphite reinforcement was common....)

I never found the Jazz necks all that chunky myself, and of course the fretless necks tend to feel thinner without the extra height of the frets (IMHO).

That said, I'm pretty sure they've also built "vintage style" necks with no reinforcement as an option, too.

Mike

18. ^thanks Mike

19. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    bodies are great, hate the necks. like playing concrete - heavy and unyielding.

20. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I rather a Warmoth built the way I like over a Fender any day.

Great Stuff IMHO