1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AskBass, Aug 6, 2018.

1. YES

37 vote(s)
    74.0%
  2. NO

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. AskBass

AskBass

Oct 9, 2016
    Recently I've had some problems with my left hand (some pain while playing) and although I am trying to work on my technique, I think that a more comfortable neck might solve the problem ( I played a lakland dj and it felt great).

At first I was drawn to assymtric necks, but I couldn't find any 4 string jazz that are a symmerical. Now I am considering buying the slim taper neck.
    So what I'd to ask is how are the warmoth necks and specifically the slim taper jazz

Thanks in advance

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    A more comfortable neck won't solve problems caused by bad technique.

3. AskBass

AskBass

Oct 9, 2016
    How can you explain the fact that on the lakland I experienced no pain?

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You tried it out? Briefly? It's different from what you're used to but you didn't play it long enough for your technique issues to cause pain.

5. AddicLee

AddicLee

Apr 27, 2018
    YES

[​IMG]

6. Raulplaysbass

Raulplaysbass

Jun 3, 2017
    SGV, Ca
    Warmoth and their necks are great! I have a Warmoth Jazz Bass and the quality is very high and could not be more impressed with it for the price.

I was experiencing pain in my left hand and discovered that a neck that had more girth (depth-not width if that makes sense) was more comfortable to play for an extended time. The thinner tapered necks seem to aggravate my carpal tunnel. I used to play at a bar that one of the Fender Master Builders would frequent and he stated that you have more leverage with a deeper taper neck and will have less fatigue as a result. I was considering a short scale at first but not anymore.

Hope that helps!

StevieMac, WillieB, Rickter and 5 others like this.
  7. AskBass

AskBass

Oct 9, 2016
    So what you're sying is that the slim taper won't solve my proble? Did you buy the standard?

8. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Lowering the action may help. When my action is too high on one of my basses, I feel cramping in my fretting hand.
    Once the action and saddles are tweaked. The cramping stops!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  9. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    FYI Warmoth Slim necks are very nice and a big improvement over the standard shape if you prefer a Thinner J profile it will be much closer to what you are used to . OP are you in So Cal by any chance I have one you can try out .

10. AskBass

AskBass

Oct 9, 2016
    Have you tried a Lakland, which neck is more similar?
    It's probably the time to have it set up, I just hate scaling down to my old bass for a week

11. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I had the same problem as @Raulplaysbass. I have owned about three different P basses and they have all caused me pain in my left hand and down into my arm. I know it's not the width, because my Tele bass is wide at the nut, and no pain. P basses are wide and flat (like a board). Both my Tele and Jazz have a fatter neck (like a bat).

When we talk bass necks, we do a lot of measuring, but for the "depth" the best we can hope for is a C, D, U, or V shape. Doesn't really tell you much, and not all that helpful. Imagine if nut width was only available in N or W - narrow or wide. Why not measure the depth of the neck?!?!? To me, the shape of the back of the neck is where all the feel comes in, and I think that extra mass of the neck has a lot to do with tone!

12. Raulplaysbass

Raulplaysbass

Jun 3, 2017
    SGV, Ca
    This is my experience with slim necks and information gained from a pro.

I bought the standard.

I play 4 string bass and use 105 gauge strings, lowered the action on all my basses and had to change my technique when I started playing 3-4 sets of cover songs a night. Back in the 80’s and 90’s I used heavy 110 gauge strings and set my action higher because I played really hard for 1 set in original music bands. When I started playing covers I was cramping after the 1st set and by the 3rd set forget about it!

13. AskBass

AskBass

Oct 9, 2016
    So what's the difference between my current jazz neck and warmoth's jazz neck neck?
    If i'll buy the standard jazz will I feel any difference?

14. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    I've both the slim taper and regular taper Warmoth J necks. Like 'em both, but I've never had left hand fatigue/pain issues. I get along with just about any neck.

The comments about lower action / smaller gauge strings strike me as very useful.

Raulplaysbass likes this.
  15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    while a particular slim neck might be more comfortable for you, that doesn't mean EVERY slim neck will be more comfortable for you. the shape of the neck (profile), curve of the fingerboard, depth of the neck all come into play. i'd find out more - which you're trying to do.

have you found out all the specs on the lakland DJ neck you tried yet?

16. Raulplaysbass

Raulplaysbass

Jun 3, 2017
    SGV, Ca
    These would be best answered by Warmoth. They’re great to talk with and discuss options.

17. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I would think someone at Warmoth could suggest which of their profiles is closest to the Lakland

18. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I play 5's so I can bring my left hand in.
    Thin necks, as cited, may irritate an injury or it may not.
    I would try out some neck profiles to see what works for you.

I have V or asym carved necks in the past for comfort reasons, but that doesn't help as much as going to a 5 or 6 for some people.

YMMV

19. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    This is not true in the slightest. I played an MTD for a decade and started experiencing pain in my fore arm of my plucking hand. switched up my technique to deal with the pain and many years of rehab with no benefit. Finally pick up my dream bass, ken smith, and pain is gone. I can play traditional 2 finger style all day long again with no technique change. as soon as I switch back to my MTD i get immediate pain. all basses are different and play different, this should be easily recognizable to any bassist on this site.

juancaminos and Admiral Akbar like this.
  20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Maybe your technique switching up wasn't all it could have been.

Mili and Garret Graves like this.