Warmoth project, help me choose...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by L-1329, Jul 14, 2005.

1. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Well I have decided to start a Warmoth bass, and could use suggestions for pups and pre. This is going to have an alder body with a maple top, maple neck with an ebony board, five string. I am looking for more of a modern tone, very full spectrum, clear, smooth but not thin or too sterile sounding. I will be playing this bass mostly in heavy rock, but also lighter styles, so flexibility is key. Also I will play it mostly fingerstyle but some pick action as well. For reference, the tone of my stacked Carvin jazz pups I like a lot. They have a tone that is just fuller than a lot of other basses I've heard. Maybe something like that with a little more character.

I want this to be a flexible bass and not a one trick pony, to be used primarily for live playing. Any suggestions you have are most welcome!
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Aguilar OBP-3 with Nordstrand Dual Coils.

The Aggie is a very versatile Preamp and the and you can wire the Nords in Dual coil mode and Single coil mode for each pickup with push/pulls or mini switches.
  3. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Thanks for the response. I have been thinking about the Nordstrands from all the threads here. A recommendation from you just put them way out in the lead! Do you think that these pups, pre, and wood combinations would work well together?
  4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    your wood and p/u combo should sound outstanding! I'm a real proponent of alder bodies and maple necks (ebony or pau ferro boards), and the Nordstrands are a great compliment to your already great choice of body/neck materials.

For a pre-amp, you may also want to consider a U Retro or one of the excellent Sadowsky onboard pre-amps.

Be sure to drop an image or two as things progress.

All the best,

5. You should check out EMG's. They have the modern sound and can do well in many music styles. Plus if you ever decide to use distortion these are THEE pickups to use them with. Also, for more tone flexibility, EMG has many different Active EQ systems that work incredibly. Hope I helped. Good luck!
  6. If I ever built a Warmoth, the ebony board would be a must-have part of it. I ordered my L1500 in ebony, and would do so again.

Built as a P-bass, mine would have to be more mellow (alder) and include a J bridge pickup with switched isolation. I'm undecided on which wood offers the most growl for a J-bass (maple, hard ash, or ??).

Nino builds boat loads of Warmoth basses, so his word carries the most weight, IMO.
  7. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Well, I just put in the order with Warmoth, and the wait begins! I decided to have it routed for the Nord Dual Coils based on Nino and everyone else's recommendations, as well as the Aggie OBP-3. The only change I made is I opted for a maple board, mostly for cosmetic reasons. I know, I know, but it's going to be blue dye over flame maple, and I just really like the look of a maple board on a blue bass. So in about 8-10 weeks (hopefully), I will have just about all of this bass together. This should be fun, and I honestly can't wait to hear this bass. Thanks for the input! :cool: