1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chubfarm2001, Jan 6, 2012.

1. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Marys, Ohio
    Thinking of starting a Warmoth project. I see a lot of good posts about their products. Any tips, suggestions, reviews, stories, carrots, pros, cons, will be greatly appreciated.

2. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    One, wait until you see a body you like in their online showcase to get it for a significant savings.

Two, consider using an Allparts neck. Also Fender licensed, constructed using the same kind of wood and techniques as vintage Fenders. Lighter than Warmoth.

3. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Read through the Warmoth club threads. You'll learn a lot.

4. Morten_B

Morten_B Supporting Member

You can get lot's of inspiraton in the Warmoth club thread. Check it out...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/warmoth-owners-club-part-2-a-767785/

Some are saying that the Warmoth necks are heavy, too thick (front to back) etc. All I can say is, that I don't understand the criticism and the Warmoth neck I have on my Warmoth jazz is the best I have ever played.

I fully agree with the previous poster about keeping an eye out for the showcases.

5. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The only complete warmoth I've ever played felt perfect from top to bottom. I can't see why anyone would not like the neck I had my hands on

6. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I bought a P with a Warmoth neck. Sold the neck and put on an Allparts. Sounds at least as good, and the bass was 1/2 a pound lighter when I was done.

I used another Allparts neck on the Warmoth-bodied J I put together and it is also really nice.

7. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Oh, and some people would tell you that a Warmoth neck with the steel reinforcing rods loses a little tone because the rods are so heavy/dense they change the harmonics of the wood.

However, they do offer graphite reinforcing rods now and, if I were set on buying a Warmoth neck, I would definitely get the graphite over steel.

8. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars

Jan 21, 2007
    The warmoth necks can't be beat especially their fret work. I've been a luthier for 30 years and though a warmoth neck is a bit heavier, allparts necks can't even come close to the quality or workmanship, period!

They are also a bit more expensive but you can tell by how solid the neck feels in your hands, you got what you paid for. Fender necks are a poor example of how a neck should be constructed when compared to a Warmoth.

The fretwork alone was better than my Sadowsky, Roscoe, and Lull to name a few. I was blown away!

Bodies are easy to make but the neck is where it's at. Don't hesitate on a Warmoth neck and certainly do look at their in stock necks to save a bundle.

Just one example. I bought a Flamed Teak neck with an ebony board for $251 with my choice of frets installed. Build to order price was just over $500 and I didn't have to wait for them to build it. It arrived in just over a week.

Happy new year!

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, my original '55 and '62 p bass necks will probably only last another 100-200 years. ;)

10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I just replaced my J-bass body with Warmoth. Best thing I've ever done with a bass. Good even tone all over the neck (fretless Mighty Mite) and the dead spot that was really bugging me is gone. I'm seriously considering a Warmoth neck for this bass.

11. Fender necks definitely have a higher rate of warping/twisting than steel or graphite reinforced necks. Of course graphite sounds much closer to traditional Fender tone than steel.

12. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I love my Warmoth basses! Waaaaay more options than the big F's custom shop for half the price and,in my experience,better quality.

Pretty much all you have to do is have a goal in mind. If you're looking for an exotic wood,call 'em! They'll gladly send you pics of every board they have,and it's a one-on-one,Mom/Pop type atmosphere. They also have all the standard fare ready for finish/shipping. They're pretty quick about it. Don't worry about the necks either,they're top notch.

Here's my fav. Warmoth build..Black Limba Warmoth pictures by funkingroovin - Photobucket

13. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    ;);):bawl:;)
    +100 To this

14. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Yup. When I went looking for a fretless maple neck for my p-bass, I did some research, spoke to a bunch of knowledgable TBers, and chose Warmoth over the others. The workmanship is fantastic and i dont notice any negative effect with the steel rods... tone-wise.

Two other points about Warmoth. Their customer service is stellar. Every interaction I had with them, I got the feeling that all they cared about was that I was happy with their product and with them. Yes to both.

The downside...for whatever reason...is that once you've spent your money, don't expect to see much of it back if/when you decide to sell.

15. Morten_B

Morten_B Supporting Member

I'm just guessing here... Warmoth are evolutionary in their approach and they are doing a lot to improve the quality / sound of the necks. Some like this (I do), but some seem to believe, that anything that is different in construction from the necks back from the 60's and 70's are nothing but different versions of bad copies. This indicates that the 60's and 70's were the pinnacle of evolution in bass development, it's fine by me that some think that way, I don't... As said, I like evolution: For instance I prefer a phone from 2011 over one from the 60's ;) The development goes on, and on and on like it or not...

16. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Marys, Ohio
    Thanks everyone for the input. Very helpful. I have started to piece together a jazz 5 string with a MM style humbucker at the bridge and standard J at the neck. Still up in the air about the wood options, but if the fretwork really compares to Sadowsky, then I'll stick with a Warmoth neck. One thing I have always wondered, though....Is there a real difference between straight and angled headstocks (besides the obvious)?

17. Definitely a great idea, i currently have 5 Warmoth necks
    they are much better quality than any Fender neck i have owned
    heavier?, not by much, the reason is the steel rods they use
    the upside is the stell rods give the necks trmendous sustain and stability
    Rock solid!!!!
    if weight is a concern for you, I would reccomend thier Slim Taper contour
    you won't regret it