!WARNING! CA Glue incompatibility!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hambone, Dec 20, 2005.

1. I've discovered a combination of superglue and another common substance that we builders use all the time that creates an absolute disaster when they come in contact with each other - Fiebings Professional Oil Dye. I've got a fingerboard that I ebonized with the black dye like I've done many times before but this time, I wanted to do a CA coating on it. Bad move. The glue went on fine but as it set there, it began to pull the dye up and out of the wood and soon, the superglue had turned a shade of purple/black as the dye mixed with it. Conversely, the wood regained quite a bit of it's original natural look as the dye left the grain. It was amazing! I immediately got to work getting the uncured glue off and was able to save the board but it was nip and tuck for awhile there.

Just thought you'd like to know. I would have :meh:
  2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Nasty :eek: I have never used dye. Thanks for the heads up!
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I wonder whether a wash coat of shellac or lacquer before CAing the board might prevent this?
  4. That's a good idea - often when things tank this badly, I'll pass on going any further rather than attempt to try to rectify the situation. But your solution is so simple that it's probably got a 99.9% chance of working. I'll try it.

I think the shellac would be the ticket since lacquer thinner dissolves the oil dye somewhat.
  5. in addition...have you experimented with a different dye? I see that Fiebings also makes a Spirit Dye, which is a penetrating dye and here's what www.appalachianleather.com has to say about it.

Fiebings Spirit Dyes -Code # 2000 - 4 oz bottle - $4.29
    Top of the line penetrating dye used by nearly all professionals in the industry including tanneries and Manufacturers. Also used on gourds and woodwork!
  6. Hmm, I didn't know that. I do recall, when I had my wife pick up a bottle of this stuff at the local Tandy Leather store, that the clerk asked her if she wanted the "pro" dye or the regular dye. When Deb asked what the "pro" dye was the clerk replied "Oh, the stuff they use in prisons" :eek: I wish I had known about this then. I would have tried it too. Thanx!! :hyper:
  7. Wow -- as in prison tattoos? Or the leather straps on Ol' Sparky?