WARNING: Oscar Prat Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benjobass, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjobass

benjobass Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2001
    Midwest
    You're not missing much ;).

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    I figured I'd add a few to the list as well.

Maurizio uber basses, I've dealt with him in two builds now. He's an outstanding guy to deal with. Delays are rare but when they happen he communicates well. I've never gone more than 2 days without a response to a message and usually it's a few hours.

Edit: Crossed pavel off the list. He is not as reputable as I thought. All that remains are people and companies I have personally dealt with.

I feel like fbass, mtd, ken smith and nordstrand all go without saying.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  3. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan

4. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    @kerrycares
    Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Fixed. I have only left those I have had personal dealings with and know are trustworthy without a shadow of a doubt.

5. 7615

7615 Guest

Nov 19, 2015
    As do I.

6. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world.

Jun 25, 2014
    California

7. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world.

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    Almost had a similar situation a year ago. Had commissioned some equipment and was getting many excuses on the delays, but I kept watching the clock. I too paidvia Pay Pal. I was fortunate to get a full refund. Hopefully, the dude gets wind of all of this and makes good for you. Good luck.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. ihavenofish

ihavenofish Commercial User

Jan 9, 2020
    xzero cnc, werner automation
    I found this thread when looking up Prat Basses.

I do not know him, and I make zero comment on how he has run his business.

I do however know all about his CNC machine issues - the reason you see him offering now things is because I was able to help get it fixed for him.

He bought and XZero CNC router from my friend George in 2016. Before the machine could be properly finished and delivered George had a stroke, and his "one man show" company effectively vapourised. George has never 100% recovered unfortunately so XZero remains dormant and there is no communications directly with his customers. Myself a a few others have tried to help customers that have contacted us. As you can imagine, if you had just paid a substantial amount of money as a small business and effectively lost it, you'd be pretty screwed. I can only offer sympathy to Prat Basses in that regard.

Mid last year, Prat basses contacted me and I set him up with the shop that made the XZero machine frames and we got him the parts he was missing on his CNC.

I hope that clarifies some of the factual aspects of his story. Again, I don't make any comment on what hes done or how hes dealt with his own customers as a result of this mess with his CNC purchase - I only want to state that the mess was very much a true story.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  9. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    So glad I bought my Hofners and Epiphones! Feel bad for the Pratt and Huff customers.

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  10. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Feel bad for the ones that got screwed over. While I have my gripes (contact not fulfilled, but I actually got a bass), it's still a solid instrument with a lot of final options and is very playable.
    It's sad--the potential is there. The price was very reasonable, and he had a good track record. Things just went WAY downhill.

Rob Martinez likes this.
  11. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    The basses I have seen by both Pratt and Huff are quite beautiful.

12. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    Please can this thread be removed from the sticky threads?

I do not dispute any of the problems with this particular luthier, and this was stickied with a good intention, however generally speaking...

Every time someone navigates to the Basses BG subforum they glance over 'Warning: Oscar Prat Basses'. There is only one other similar warning in the sticky threads, so the repeated impression given (even if subconcious, which still has a powerful effect) is that Prat Basses is one of the 2 most risky luthiers in existence. This is highly unlikely, there are probably warning threads for many worse luthiers that just have not been stickied, which of these threads actually gets stickied is fairly random: someone asks, moderator sees, and agrees.

It could be argued that the fair thing to do would be to sticky every warning thread, but of course that cannot be done as there are so many risky luthiers. But if that were done, there are also the following problems:
    * Constantly re-assessing the risk and deciding whether the thread should be unstickied or not, moderators do not have time for this.
    * How to decide whether a luthier is problematic enough to deserve a sticky.

It seems that the only right thing to do is to never sticky warning threads. I request the other one is removed too, and any in other subforums.
    If luthier problems persist such threads will get bumped into visibility. If problems settle, the thread rightly automatically disappears into history.
    These sticky threads are highly visible and very damaging to a luthier's business, so this has to be considered very carefully.
    Posts on forums are supposed to be the posters opinions only, for legal reasons. Stickying a warning thread makes it the forum admin's opinion too, which could cause legal problems for the forum.

To be clear:
    The above are general points, this is not support for Prat Basses or implication that any of his customers are in the wrong, so please do not take it that way.

13. My concern lies with the customers, not the luthier. The thread has reached this stage because of multiple unresolved complaints and potential buyers need to be warned.

I assume the other thread you’re referring to is Darrin Huff. If any thread deserves to be stickied it’s that one!

TylerJ, Microbass, Ikkir and 5 others like this.
  14. I haven't lost any fish in this fryer, however TB is the biggest bass community on the planet. It's a high profile issue and the guy is still in business. You never know how or when this thread might be able to save a lot of heartache for another player. If anything it could probably be locked down to avoid it being unnecessarily updated with posts such as mine. :)

15. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP

Completely disagree. The whole world need to know about these guys

Same as Dr Bass. If 10. People get ripped off I want to know so I don't get ripped off and so I don't support someone who has ripped off other people.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    Not to mention if Prat wanted to address these issues, he could do so in this thread and appease everyone, as he is a member here. He’s fully aware of this thread- unfortunately rather than addressing concerns here, he has actively tried to have us delete it.

17. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Wow. This is sad. Guessing he's just written off the USA market and is hoping to start anew in Europe. Wonder how/if any EU laws will protect potential buyers over there.

On another note, just saw that my nut is chipping away. So that's nice. can slide the B string in the slot a couple millimeters

18. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Why would anyone ever think it is acceptable to take money from a customer and then fail to live up to your commitments to that customer? And, why should anyone condone that bad business behavior by giving a pass to the company because:
    1. they have emotional issues
    2. they have had a run of "bad luck"
    3. they have "lost their workspace"
    4. they have accepted too much work
    5. they have a reputation of "being flighty"
    While it may be admirable to have compassion and tolerate some horrible business actions committed many of the "entrepreneurs" mentioned in TB threads, there is simply no excuse for not being able to run a business on a professional level. To remove the assorted cautionary tales regarding these sub-par companies is just plain foolish ...

19. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I totally disagree with this suggestion. To use the Huff thread as an example, there are people who put down full or partial deposits over a decade ago and are still waiting. Many if not all of them have mentally written off the investment, which is totally understandable. As a result, they're not posting regular updates, like "Guess what, my bass is still not here! X years and counting...."

A lack of recent postings does not mean anyone's problems have been resolved. And since Huff has apparently continued to solicit business through FB over the past few years, the warning is both relevant and appropriate. The mods do a good job with this stuff, as we don't see pages of stickied threads at the top of the forum. But these two luthiers, at least, seem to deserve the badge of (dis)honor.

20. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn Trying to find the elusive Brown Note

Jul 29, 2017
    Virginia
    I have to disagree.

In fact, posts like this one and the other one you mentioned saved me some serious money.

A few years ago I was in the market for a custom bass, and saw a picture of a Huff bass. I did a little research and came across the sticky about Huff's business practices. I was ready to drop more than five grand as a deposit on a bass, but after reading a lot of posts on that sticky, I decided it was most definitely in my best interest to look elsewhere.

When I started taking lessons with my instructor, I saw that they had a Prat bass and marveled at how beautiful it was. My instructor let me play it a bit to see how it felt and it was awesome, so the idea of getting a custom bass came back, this time maybe Prat would be a good bet. I mean, hell, I had a chance to actually see one of his basses in the wild, let alone play one.

To the internet I went trying to find his contact information. This thread popped up near the top, and seeing the large, friendly letters saying WARNING, I took a peek.

Yet again, a sticky warning about the behavior of a luthier saved me some serious cash. Were it not for these two stickies, I would probably be out at least $10k, if not more.

While I get the idea of not smearing a person tying to make a living, both of these luthiers made choices that have damaged their reputations. Some of those choices might very well have been brought on by extenuating circumstances, the way those situations were handled from a business side toward customers has been disastrous.

Potential buyers, like myself, should have the ability to see these posts and the people affected by these businesses should have a forum to vent their frustrations and share their experiences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.