1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Oscar Prat Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benjobass, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Williethedummy

Williethedummy

Aug 2, 2018
    Yikes.

2. cdbrewer99

cdbrewer99 Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Colorado
    F279368A-5B89-4F3C-9B4D-BA1E42411FCF. A2ACDAEF-3984-4FD6-BE45-0CD2EF423D8F. 9BB0CB01-F00B-4041-815E-C95628E79F6E. 20100A79-F4EB-498A-9536-7FA669470866.
    I received my Prat Bass from Oscar today. I’m not gonna sugarcoat it because it was finished in Akron, Ohio due to Oscar’s respiratory problems from growing up in a furniture shop.
    I ordered bass last February. 13 months later and constant emails and talks with Oscar, I received bass today from Lays Guitar(great guys). This build is beautiful. Exactly what I asked for........4 string Jazz, active as F$&k. The build is absolutely gorgeous. No fret markers, no headstock logo, just a really nice crafted bass. The neck is perfect. Super playable and flat. Yep. Flat. I’m sorry you guys didn’t get what you wanted or anything at all. It hurts my heart that he’s done this to you guys. The Bass community is strong and powerful. I have a 5 string SC from Oscar that is also a beautiful instrument. I manifested this bass. Seriously. I was nice, cordial and also relentless on getting what I asked for. I got it. Anyway. I’m very sorry to those who aren’t happy. I guess I’m just lucky.

3. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Fairborn, Ohio

This is what makes me sad--they're capable of being awesome basses. Glad you got lucky!

cdbrewer99 likes this.
  4. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    How much of the work was done by Prat vs the shop in Akron?

5. cdbrewer99

Oct 10, 2011
    Colorado
    The shop mounted the bass. Neck and body were complete and finished.

eottjake likes this.
  6. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Hahaha.... is this the new excuse Oscar is using?

andruca, eottjake and J_Bass like this.
  7. cdbrewer99

Oct 10, 2011
    Colorado
    Nah. That’s just what I think. People that are around woodworking shops and the like become more likely to have respiratory issues from not having proper protection. Oscar did not say this. However he has been in and out of hospital for lung issues and pneumonia. That I know.

MattZilla likes this.
  8. cdbrewer99

Oct 10, 2011
    Colorado
    Like I said in my first post. I’m not giving him any excuses. What he has done to others is wrong. There’s no excuse for that.

9. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    He should quit smoking then.. I'm sure nothing he told you is true.

10. cdbrewer99

Oct 10, 2011
    Colorado
    I found all of this out on my own. As I was trying to retrieve my bass. I didn’t post this message to argue. I posted because this group wanted updates on Prat Basses.

Gunga Din and eottjake like this.
  11. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Do lots of local repairs, refrets, modifications, and build basses (and guitars) that reflect your ideals in design and functionality. Carl Thompson, Mike Lull, Tom Anderson, all of the best builders out there did repairs and fretwork before and deep into their building careers.

Until you have built up enough capital that you can do it full time (pay all of your living expenses and insurances while spending nine months focusing on one bass) don't take commissions, don't take deposits. Just build instruments for yourself and post them for sale after you've enjoyed them for a few weeks.

When you get around to being financially comfortable to do a commissioned build, bear in mind how good some of the best Squiers and MIM Fenders can be, and know that you may have to build a single bass several times for it to be worth more than a modified Squier to the buyer.

12. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Exactly. I have no problem with people spending their money on total hand build furniture instruments. Some enjoy driving their Lexus, while others do ok with a 'beater with heater' Im sort of in between. I drive a 1994 Mercury Grand Markus. LOL

But when I read of the frustration threads like this about Prat, Dr Bass, and D. Huff, I feel blessed to play cheap off the rack Squires and Ibanez.

I'd much rather pay 200 for a cheap log than shell out a 2000 dollar deposit on some illusive bass n builder i may never see.

I hope all matters can and will be resolved for you.
    Good luck to all on getting your stuff.

13. dcalde78

dcalde78

Apr 17, 2012
    Scotland
    Call me skeptical, but 13 months for a Jazz bass? I'll be the first to admit I have limited woodworking experience, but with the correct tools and templates (which any respectable builder will own or have access to at the very least), should be able to produce a body within a few weeks, maybe a month depending on the complexity of tops/how many other orders there are to fulfill. But 13 months for such a basic, bolt on design? I find it hard to believe that it would take so long for it to be produced.

I'm surprised that this thread exists, I've been out of the loop a fair while now but to come back and this is one of the first threads I see is very surprising, Prat used to be a pretty highly regarded brand for some of the more unusual builds.

14. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    13 months is a bit crazy, especially when folks on this very website bang out some nice basses in just 3 months here: Winter Buildoff 2019 Voting - Final

Bryan R. Tyler, 4sight and CatchaCuda like this.
  15. cdbrewer99

Oct 10, 2011
    Colorado
    I didn’t know you were a luthier. What Basses do you make?

16. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I don't think 13 months is out of the question as long as the builder tells you that ahead of time. I ordered a Bruce Johnson AMB-2 scroll bass in early March this year and it has a January 2020 delivery date. 10 months. I know that up front so I'm good with it.

The issue with Oscar is promises not kept. Don't confuse that with build time.

benjobass, eottjake and ajkula66 like this.
  17. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    there are well known guitar builders with a 5 year waiting list. it doesn't mean they take 5 years to make the guitars; just that there are 5 years of guitars being built ahead of yours. that could be the case with the 13 months.