1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Oscar Prat Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benjobass, Aug 19, 2018.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    And even before that. :atoz:

<snicker..had to say it>

2. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Fairborn, Ohio
    Exactly this. It's sad, frustrating, whatever. I hope he gets everything together because they aren't bad instruments.

3. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    That last point is debatable. I've had 2 Prats. You can read my prior posts about it in this thread. But the gist is that one was fine and the other has a severe neck issue. Pretty? Yes. Usable? No. I sold the one that was useable and definitely haven't looked back.

andruca, eottjake and Garret Graves like this.
  4. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Fairborn, Ohio
    I forgot about that Chace. I'm glad mine is at least usable. Sorry you got shafted :/

5. Williethedummy

Williethedummy

Aug 2, 2018
    This kind of thing is going to make new luthiers have a hard time.

gebass6, Beej, ajkula66 and 2 others like this.
  6. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Fairborn, Ohio
    As someone whose dream job is to be a luthier, this terrifies me.

Dan B and Garret Graves like this.
  7. benjobass

benjobass Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2001
    NYC
    Why should this terrify anyone? It's much harder to treat people poorly and maintain a guise (all the lies, excuses, etc.) then it is to simply be a good business person - say what you mean, mean what you say, deliver on what you promise and do right by the people who have invested in you and your business.

This thread, and the others like it on this Forum, reflect what happens when you treat your customers poorly. Plain and simple.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Arthur U. Poon, db59, andruca and 6 others like this.
  8. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    benjobass, first of all I'm so sorry for what you've gone through. Something like this would really bug me. I haven't gone through the entire thread, just read your OP and then the last few posts.

But man, I gotta tell you... you think it would be harder for someone to do all the shifting and ducking and lying because you're a fundamentally decent and honest person. I don't think these people have have a hard time at all doing things like this. They're not wired like you. I think it's easier for them to scam than to sacrifice and work their butts off to deliver in what must be a hard industry.

andruca and benjobass like this.
  9. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    And to follow up...

Chace90, you're a more forgiving person than I, and let me be clear, I think that's a great thing and says something basically good about you. But I have a different take. Whether it's 'intentional' or not, the guy has obviously taken money from people when he knew damn well that their product was not going to be delivered on time if at all. That's the facts. In this guy's case, it seems like he did it many times, not once. That makes him a scammer even if there's a good dose of 'irresponsible dreamer + weak willed procrastinator + ostrich' in there.

BIG P.S. - I scrolled back and saw that Oscar posted here. I'm really sorry, I know I come off as a hard-a**, but family issues aren't an excuse for being 3 years late in delivering. What you do is you refund everyone immediately and you say 'I won't be taking any more orders until I am fit to do so'.

We all have family/personal issues. But you do the gig with a smile or you bow out.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Ikkir, andruca, GregC and 4 others like this.
  10. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    This reminds me of a friend who just had to have a Warrior bass. After all, they're "hand anointed" He got the bass of his wildest dreams and couldn't wait to get rid of it. He was grievously disappointed the moment he picked it up.

Sad...

andruca likes this.
  11. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I was the biggest Warrior pusher there was on here and purchased 9 new ones. The dream build where I laid out everything I wanted in a bass ($6500) Build was the worst bass I’ve ever had over $1000. Sent back 3 times and each time it was sent back insame shape not addressing the quality mishaps that you wouldn’t expect in a sub $500 bass. The last 2-3 I had was all worse and worse quality and just overall value wise. I finally cut ties and lost big money and moved on. I also had a friend here that opened my eyes to a supposedly new bass that JD promised no one had ever owned. My friend on Talkbass showed me pictures of the exact bass I purchased in his living room. He sent it back due do a bad neck. I’ve moved onto Devon basses that are far superior in every level and perfection at every level. Plus they are half the price.

GregC, Garret Graves and Rob Martinez like this.
  12. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000

OI don't remember what he said that did it in for him, but I think it was the neck profile or maybe it was a bad neck. not sure...