WARNING: Oscar Prat Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benjobass, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ixlramp hasn’t been back to defend his position. Methinks he may have had second thoughts.

MattZilla, Clark W, TylerJ and 3 others like this.
  2. doug calkin

doug calkin

Jan 27, 2019
    Old thread, being in Colorado you could have gotten a Surine bass, made in Denver

totalnoob and gebass6 like this.
  3. Gibson Victory

Gibson Victory Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2019

4. Gibson Victory

Dec 21, 2019
    Well, for what it is worth here, I have been following this situation for quite some time, did some research, etc. So I recently purchased one of his Basses, used online. It is very nice, probably the nicest Bass that I currently own. Since I follow this kind of thing on a daily basis, I have seen this one for sale before. I recently reached out to Mr. Pratt via his current web site, with just a general question, as in "Are you still building, or are you retired?"He replied he is still young, what did I need help with. Apparently he is in Spain. Whatever. So my bottom line here is, would I contract a build with this individual, NO. Would I buy something he had produced in the past, yep, if the price was right. Just some FYI stuff here, sorry to hear of all the problems.

shojii and eottjake like this.
  5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    It's amazing (and sad) how nobody here in Spain knows about this guy's "misadventures" and numerous unfulfilled obligations. Seems to still be doing business, altho' I seldom see any of his basses around (I know of only one shop in the whole country dealing them -IDK about wait times and other conditions-). Luckily the second result, if you do a search for "oscar prat basses" on google.es, is this thread. Guess I'm constantly underestimating the language barrier.

totalnoob and Gibson Victory like this.
  6. pratbasses

pratbasses Commercial User

Jan 20, 2010
    Spain
    It makes me very funny to see how people who do not know me and that the vast majority have not even touched one of my basses, and that the vast majority have not done business with me, are criticizing something they do not know about an old problem I had with a couple of clients, problems that were solved in their day but that are still remembered here as if they were current ... guys, I have been in this for many years and I know how gossip works, especially in Talkbass .. this is in fashion.
    I have hundreds of clients totally happy with their instruments, for many years I have been serving bassists all over the world, and I continue to do so (and yes, I am young and I have many years to build bass guitars). Currently I am working with practically the same clients as when I had to leave the USA due to personal problems (and I am also working with a much greater variety of nationalities).
    As I say, the vast majority of comments here have no basis, they are based on an old problem already solved, but maybe one day they will give you a medal, who knows.
    Finally, I hope you are all fine with the virus, stay healthy.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Mr. Prat, I do not have a dog in this fight, so maybe I am the right person to ask this question with total neutrality and objectivity.

• Has everyone who has given you a deposit either received a bass or a returned deposit?

8. pratbasses

Jan 20, 2010
    Spain
    Hi malthumb, I'm working with several basses right now! So I have a lot of deposits and payments :thumbsup: and working with normality, always contact with my customers. I have a very big bass that is delaying, sometimes it is normal with megabasses/super custom basses, but in a normal way, talking and regular contact with customers.

Today, a bass is shipping to Italy. Next week, 2 basses will ship to US... I think the guys are exited !!

Gibson Victory and malthumb like this.
  9. Yango

Yango Inactive

Apr 14, 2008
    You did not answer malthumb’s question.

Did benjobass—the gentleman who started this thread—ever receive the bass he ordered or a full refund?

It’s a very simple question, and should be a very simple answer.

gebass6 likes this.
  10. pratbasses

Jan 20, 2010
    Spain
    Hi Yango

Of course he did! Long, long time time ago!! Oh, he didn't say nothing about? :whistle:

Gibson Victory likes this.
  11. pratbasses

Jan 20, 2010
    Spain
    Yes, I think he did :)

12. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Here’s the benjobass post:

malthumb likes this.
  13. pratbasses

Jan 20, 2010
    Spain
    Thank you, Goatrope

14. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    Why are you thanking Goatrope? It's not like he's your attorney getting you off the hook for your shady business practices. You need to confess your misdealings here and now since you poked your head out the ground.

Goatrope likes this.
  15. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    He thanked goatrope for digging out a response from a year ago.

Did you see that? He refunded the man a YEAR ago.

You make it sound like you have a stake in this. Tell us why Oscar owes you the time of day.

16. pratbasses

Jan 20, 2010
    Spain
    Hi Iggy. Welcome to the club! :thumbsup: like I said, I had a problem with a customer long time ago, and I don't own nothing to him, so what are my shady business practices? I had hundreds of customers in my 14 years of professional building, and sometimes, wherever are the reasons, you can't make happy to everybody. But I tell you what:
    you need to speak for yourself, accurately, based in your experience with my business, if not, your opinion about my business is not valid at all.
    It is like if I say (and this is just an imaginary example): Fender is piece of ****! .... And I never play a Fender in m live . .. pretty sure there are a lot of people that had problems with Fender dealers, Fender factory, Fender customer service... Like all business! So yeah, Fender needs to deal with the opinion of people that never buy or play a Fender... like you with Prat, you never play or buy a Prat, so your opinion doesn't have fundamentals... Anyways, I appreciate your opinion
    I'm no proud at all what happened with benjobass, but it was not willfully, and I continue my business like always, trying to make my customers very happy, and normally people is happy with my basses and my business.

17. Gibson Victory

Dec 21, 2019
    As mentioned before, I actually OWN and play A Pratt Bass. I will correct my earlier comments in regards to it IS the Best instrument I currently own. Also, I stated I would not contract for a build with Mr. Pratt, frankly I owe him an apology. Given the current circumstances I just might. What get’s me the most about the whole situation is that if a person were interested in one of his instruments, and did a general internet search, what comes up ? Stuff from Talk Bass no less. It’s almost impossible to find out much of any other type of information. Assuming that past issues have been resolved, and apparently they have, this garbage SHOULD have been REMOVED, in both places, PERIOD! This is almost interfering with a persons ability to conduct a business. People in general are human, unless you were born on another planet, and make some errors in judgment, that’s why they put erasers on pencils. Things happen. Do a deep dark soul search on yourself here. Problems with individuals, or companies should be worked out between those two parties, and that IS where the issue should stay. I will stand in Mr. Pratt’s corner since no one else seems willing to do so, give the guy a break. Notice not only have I thrown down the Gauntlet glove, but have turned the “SS Victory “ into the wind, full sail, lower canon bay doors open. If you are going to make a “shot across the bow” , make it a darn good one. C’Mon people, is this kind of thing really what we are all about ?

shojii and malthumb like this.
  18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Again, having no dog in this fight, I asked Oscar Prat a defining question. He answered it. His answer has held up to challenge. I’m good with it and wish him a successful and prosperous career. He made some mistakes. He’s owned them. Barring proof to the contrary, he’s remedied them. I think that’s all that can be asked of him.

pratbasses and charlie monroe like this.
  19. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Just a quick note to say that administrators/moderators are not removing past posts just because they have been resolved. It's okay for a potential consumer to have the information and make their own choice. We did un-stick the thread since there does not seem to be a great deal of present concern.

20. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    It's unfortunate that so many of us spent hard earned money to be the proverbial guinea pigs for Prat to (supposedly) get his act together.

Any recent customers that can attest to this instead of the word of the person who wants these past mistakes forgotten?

totalnoob and LSancho like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.