1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Oscar Prat Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benjobass, Aug 19, 2018.

1. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Yep. If I never see another scam thread, I know the world has gotten better or people have gotten wiser.

Garret Graves likes this.
  2. benjobass

benjobass Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2001
    NYC
    I had seen some of his basses for sale here, liked the way they looked/sounded, dug around and found some endorsers (in particular someone I respected) and gave it a shot. At the time I placed my order there were no red flag posts about Oscar here.

S-Bigbottom and MD Stingray like this.
  3. cdbrewer99

cdbrewer99 Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Colorado
    I’m not saying he is right. Because it’s wrong. Oscar is definitely going through a tough time. From my understanding, it happens to a lot of luthiers and artists alike. I will wait for completion of my bass, and I’ll keep y’all posted.

4. If he is going through a "tough time" maybe he should stop taking orders until he can get his affairs sorted. At this point it sounds like he is actively trying to scam money from people.

Reverend179, bholder, gebass6 and 2 others like this.
  5. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    @smperry
    Sticky?

benjobass likes this.
  6. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Right now, I don't think I want to sticky it, due to the number of people affected...not the severity of course, as it is a serious concern.

Additionally, this thread is high on the first page of a Google search for Oscar Prat basses. I hope the two people in this thread get a satisfactory resolution, and I'd hope that people with an interest see this thread first.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I Remember when that guy was trying to get bass players in my area to have him make builds for them. He even reached out to me about building me a bass. I saw one he had left one in an area music store to show off and it was nice but pricey. Too bad he’s now ripping people off.

8. benjobass

Oct 6, 2001
    NYC
    Makes sense on the basis of this particular post. Though I do know that there are more than just the two of us who have vocalized in this thread. I linked to two other posts here on the board where others have also chimed in. Myself, and others, have also been communicating privately as a result of these threads.

The point I'm trying to make is that this post is just the most recent about, what appears to be, a trend in this particular luthier's behavior. The more people that gain visibility into this, the better.

9. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I don’t understand why those people don’t come forward... I guess they are still hoping they will get their bass eventually...

10. benjobass

Oct 6, 2001
    NYC
    My thoughts exactly. Really unclear why others affected by him haven't chimed in...

11. benjobass

Oct 6, 2001
    NYC
    Ah, looks like he relaunched. It was dead for a long while. Thanks for the heads up. I'll update the head post.

12. Uzielsquibb

Uzielsquibb

Jul 26, 2017
    Glad to see everyone speaking out. I gave up on getting my money back after he stopped returning messages. Figured I was SoL since he hauled to another country.

13. benjobass

Oct 6, 2001
    NYC
    This is awful - I'm so sorry you're caught up in this situation too.

Uzielsquibb likes this.
  14. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Everyone get your deposits in!

Garret Graves likes this.
  15. benjobass

Oct 6, 2001
    NYC
    Quick update for those following this thread. Prat seemed to be turning a corner by trickling in small installments towards my refund for the months of Sep and Oct. But sadly, and predictably, he's now back to ignoring my invoices and emails asking where my Nov refund installment is.

16. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    It's interesting that he doesn't just build the bass. At least then he could make some money on the deal instead of having to refund your money. Well, he hasn't disappeared. That's something. Good luck.

17. WakaW

WakaW

Nov 27, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Well that's a lot of sad news for me.

I have talk about a 12 strings custom bass with Oscar Prat, in November 2016.
    After a long talk, Oscar has send me a first invoice (more 3K$), before drawing two different scale plan corresponding to the tuning i ask.
    He told me, crafting the bass will take one year at least, so i've wait.
    He has continued to answer me until the paypal 180 days was finished, and never answered me again after that point in May 2017.

He has answer me on facebook once time, told me he send me news soon. And after that, every message i sent him stayed unread on facebook.
    Someone know if he still on facebook or have disabled his account ?

Hope he still work or have some personnal problem, but i'm disapointed that goes on this way, compared his good reputation.

18. benjobass

Oct 6, 2001
    NYC
    So sorry to hear you're caught up in a similar situation. Unfortunately, at this point it comes as no surprise. He's destroying his reputation by treating buyers like this. He's been ignoring me for the last two months again and I have no doubt he's going to continue this disgraceful behavior. I hope this post remains very high in search results for his name and his basses. More people need to know about how terrible he is to deal with.

19. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I was thinking the same. OP's experience is similar to some that people have had with a the luthier over on the Les Paul forums. This guy never finished work, offered random instruments and services by way of compromise, started refunding one specific forum member in piddling-small sums, and was generally a diva about it. Like David Schwab on here, his entire business model was 'rob Peter to pay Paul', or to implement a crude pyramid scheme that required waves of new orders to pay for the materials needed to complete earlier orders.

My brother is a classical violinist and had the same issues! It seems rare to find a luthier that isn't a crook, a hack, a flake or some horrible blend of the three. Those who aren't are to be treated well!

20. I just looked him up on Facebook. His account is still there, but it looks like he hasn't posted anything since July.