Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Steve Killingsworth, Jun 14, 2004.

1. While skimming the boards over the weekend, my young daughter came up and was facinated by Durrl's avatar. I explained what it was and she wanted to see more sssooo I scrolled down the page and up pops our own esteemed Paul Warburton. Needless to say I had an interesting time explaining that one. Never a dull moment in parenting.

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    See? Just like his bass... even that avatar is... sinister... toward kids. Yeah.

Ahem.
    *cough*

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    My 70 year old mother saw it on the Talkbasses site and loved it! I'm also currently using it as part of a composite image for what graphics nerds call a photoshop battle. If the result is good when I'm done, I'll post it.

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OK...so where do you find this...is it just a list of Avatars???

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    As stated above. :) Just choose Waul Poorbutton's bass from the menu. You'll also see it on every post he makes here.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I love that site. Paul's bass looks so great from every angle. Lucky us, we get to hear it, too.

When I see Arnold's bass on that site, I always thing that it would be "fun" to see some clips of him carving that quilt back.

With audio :smug:

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Oh my...

8. Wow, that's a cool picture! :D

9. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Be careful with this link, boys and girls. The middle pic redefines the term "bow hair".

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Actually, I think that's an old ad for "Mum's Rosin", an old competitor of Pops. They had it all over Pops in the ad department, but I hear they eventually went out of business because the rosin itself had some very distracting attributes which caused many players to lose focus during their auditions.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Nicer container...

12. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    So that's why I was always finding those hairs in the Mom's rosin...

13. Oh lord, here we go again.

14. :eyebrow:

I liked the picture with the girl with the f-holes on her back better though.

I had a hard time figuring out how to say that properly... :D

15. Wow, there are some amazing looking basses in some very strange situations! Thanks Damon!

16. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Audio excerpt:
    "ouch! sh*t! look at that! oops! %$#@*! wow! holy#$&%! mother of *(&#%%! oops! &*%^$! NOOOOOO!!!"

17. That's a great picture.

My trivia question: In which movie did Alfred Hitchock do the cameo appearance with the bass? Prize is a dollar but you have to retrieve the prize in person.

18. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    "strangers on a train" 1951

where do I collect my dollar? has it attracted any interest in 2 years?

19. We have a winner. Meet you anywhere along the Chesapeake this year, or I might be down under next August but then I'd have to pay you an Australian dollar.

20. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    I can wait till august!