1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Katana; what is it that you don't like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gottawalk, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I played a Katana last Thursday that is being blownout at a Dallas GC. I loved it! It has a darker sound than my Jazz, it really reminded me of a Streamer, but it was much less expensive than a J/J NT Streamer. The neck profile is thicker than I liked, but it sounds good enough that I could find a way to live with it. I need to see what I can sell to get it. My Jazz makes the most sense, but it ain't going anywhere!:cool:

2. I saw a neck through Katana at a GC near me and it was goin for $1100!!!!!!! :eek:

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's the price I saw in Dallas!:cool:

4. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    & I bet you believe in the tooth fairy too.

5. Ugly bulbous bass
    warwickkatana.
    Ugly bulbous motorcycle
    Katana.

6. Duplo42

Duplo42

Jan 23, 2007
    I honestly love katana, it might not has looks for everybody, but neither does bongo, who looks way more strange then katana.

I tried it in shop and i love the way body is bit oversized and fits your body just great, specially if you sit while you play.

Sounds were great also (IMO), mix between jazz bass and warwick.

It is overpriced thou, well over 1000€ where i live...

Driven Crane likes this.
  7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Now that I've played one - I don't like the shape, the sound, the neck shape/feel and the overall aesthetics for the bass - other than those, it is just OK.

Dan K.

8. There's a NT Katana at the GC here in Lakeland FL. It's been there for at least two years. The action was set SOOO high that it was almost unplayable. I asked several times if someone could lower the action so it could be played but they refused. About a month ago I walked it over to the guitar tech that was working on something else and he agreed to adjust it. It played much better but the strings are soo dirty and STICKY, it was still very hard to evaluate the bass. It's still hanging there, the natural blond finish is dirty and it looks used. I'm sure they would be very negotiable on the price but I'm not going to bite :(

9. To me, the Katana body looks like it was designed by a grade 3 remedial student. then approved by the creepy grade 6 educated school janitor.

10. I still love it.

11. polydeathsphere

polydeathsphere

Jan 12, 2009
    New York
    I can't say anything for the B/O's but I own a NT 5 Katana, and its a sweet ****ing bass. I traded a twice used Dolphin 4 string S/N for it and its been a worthy and perfect trade. Being that I loved the dolphin too, my opinion on "weird" body shapes my be skewed lol but it plays great in a studio and live environment, was more balanced than it appears, and is just overall pretty kickass, IMO more so than the Corvettes that everyones comparing it too. I'm parting with it soon, only to move to a 5 string fretless, and my go for a wick for that too, so let me know if anyones got any trades or cash :hyper:

12. TommyBassit

TommyBassit

Oct 26, 2009
    i got my katana N/T for under a grand because it was a display model :cool:

13. Grapevine921

Grapevine921

Feb 8, 2011
    do all warwicks sound like the katana? i played one and i think the board was ebony. I think that the bass sounded a lot like flea in his recordings, at least that's the sound i got out of it. could someone tell me if that was from the ebony, whatever the body was, or the MEC pickups?

14. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    i love wicks one of the coolest basses out IMO.

15. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I had a Katana NT. It's a Nice bass, but it's not for me. It was Waaaay Bright for a Warwick, and it didn't balance very well on the strap. It has the same electronics as my Streamer SS2, but it just didn't pull of the sound as well. I did like the FishEye Position markers though!

16. PapaT

PapaT

Aug 13, 2014
    i have 1 of these Katana BO . Its a 5 string. It balances well when i play. The indentation area above the pick ups makes an excellent thumb rest . Sounds GREAT I'm glad I got a Katana Bass. I wonder why they were going for much less. But it is a german made bass. Not one of those Korean jobs either.

Well your bashing drop the price so i can afford this baby. Thank you for that lol

Driven Crane likes this.
  17. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Best sounding and playing bass I have ever owned (which includes Fender Jazz, Rickenbacker 4001 and 4003, Kiesel, custom builds, Ibanez, Schecter, Yamahas and all kinds of other random stuff). And I like the looks of mine just fine.

[​IMG]

byoung93888 and Driven Crane like this.
  18. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Wow, someone managed to make a bass uglier than a Carvin. Really didn't think that was possible. Kudos, Warwick.

gustobassman likes this.
  19. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    OK, I now own an NT-5 in Red Oil and Gold hardware. This bass is a DREAM! And I got it and the Warwick case for a Very Sweet Price indeed...

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The Katana doesn't look like a Warwick to me. If I have to buy a Wick that doesn't look like one, I'd choose the Vampyre because it looks much cooler to me.
    Also the Katana is likely to head dive, maybe not as bad as a Thumb but close.
    My favorite Warwick shapes are the Fortress and Infinity.