1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Katana; what is it that you don't like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gottawalk, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Okay. I keep looking at this bass and wonder, why is it that it's getting a bad rap?
    Tell me; do you just not like the shape?, or is it the type of pickups and their configuration? It seems to be getting a bad review for some reason... :confused:
    ...for those not in the "know"; http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/katanabo.html

2. To me, the shape is pretty odd, although I don't mind it as much as some basses. I bet it sounds a good deal like my corvette, and for the money it doesn't really seem worth it. I haven't played one though, so I guess I can't really talk.
    -Alex

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I don't like the shape. I think it looks awkward, and it probably doesn't balance that well to play, but i'm guessing, i haven't played one. Otherwise should sound similar to other warwicks with the same woods/pickups

filmtex likes this.
  4. I generally like Warwicks that are more the usual Warwick design. Like the Corvette, Thumb and Streamer. Their other styles don't do it for me because I generally want a Warwick for being what a Warwick is... if that makes sense.

5. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I like the Katana. However, with the exception of the body design/color and woods, the Katana B/O has the same electronics and pickup configuration, as well as pickup placement, as the Corvette Standard.

Unless a person really likes the body design/color or desires a Swamp Ash body wood, the Corvette Standard is a much better value in comparison to the Katana B/O. The Katana N/T has some extra cosmetic and electronic features, though.

The only aspect of the Katana's body design that I do not like is the indentation above the bridge and pickup area. Otherwise, IMO, the body design is very nice.

Nevertheless, I am quite surprise the Katana is not one of Warwick's best sellers. But, when I come to think of it, I never saw a Katana at music stores and the only online store I know that sells them is Bass Central.

Ted

6. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    for me its a lil bit to do w/ the body design but mostly that it has everything every other warwick has mec active jazz 3/ the mec 3 band EQ a flame maple boy.......it's mainly a streamer stage 1 but w/ a diff body i'd like to see warwick come out w/ dif models w/ diffrent woods for bodies and neck along with diffrent electronics packages as im getting really tired of all the same thing on every single warwick that they all sound the same but thats just me imo
    x tacocore x

7. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    how would it sound like a corvette with an ash body?

8. look how short the upper horn is. It's not as easy to reach the lower registers standing up. It also didn't balance the best in my experience.

The price is significantly higher for what in my experience, was a tone not significantly different from other warwicks.

9. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    One word: FUGLY!!!!!!!!!

MattZilla likes this.
  10. oh, another thing i want to add. the body is larger on this in terms of width than other warwicks. depending on how you rest your arm or how you reach over the bass this may or may not affect you.
    there's nothing wrong with this bass. It's constructed well and sounds like a warwick. But to me the ergodynamics and inflated price turn me off to this particular bass.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Having never seen one in real life much less played one, I will say that the Katana is ugly as sin.

itsalljustaride likes this.
  12. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    I love Thumbs, Dolphins, Streamers.

I don't care for Katanas, Vampyres.

13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    It is ugly, looks uncomfortable, and is a Warwick - brought to you by the company that steals other people's designs and refuses to pay royalities (Spector!).

Dan K.

CORBS likes this.
  14. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i think it looks good. The question is whether it's balanced or not. It's so easy to fix the balance issue. Why doesn't warwick address this?

15. i really like the looks, but i would prefer other warwicks...

such as a Vampyre or a Buzzard or a Corvette$$

i really like warwick's more extreme shapes. some of their others just bore me. i also really don't like the dolphin.

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I own one. According to Dana B. it's the looks people don't like. I have several Boutique Basses and this is still my main 4 string. It's balanced great. You hold it right at the bottom cutaway and it's even. I think it's very comfortable to play. I like resting my arm on my bass and when I play my $$, I miss the arm rest. I've done some recording with it and it sounds great. It's not a conventional looking Warwick, but that's one of the things I like about it.

Attached Files:

Charlzm likes this.
  17. There are many corvettes out there that have ash bodies; standard versions, prolines, jazzmen, plus some special edition ones. Plus, body wood is only one of the many factors that contributes to an instrument's overall sound.
    -Alex

18. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd say it's pretty damn important!

19. ...bolt-on

...ugly

...colours

...just... bleh. plain old not appealing.

20. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    Played a Katana today for the first time. One of my first thoughts was that the bass felt VERY comfortable. YMMV. I'm currently doing more research on 'em as I may go back and buy the thing.