1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Katana; what is it that you don't like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gottawalk, Apr 1, 2006.

1. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Seriously?

The 'Spector' design is a Ned Steinberger design! A design that was liscenced to two companies, Warwick didn't steal anything!

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I did not read all of the above post, so i'm not sure what everyone has already said.

I will say this. My friend bought one of the Katanna NT basses and it is amazing! I have never been completely sold on a Warwick because of the small body, the Katanna is much larger and I like the feel of it. It sounds great and plays great!

If I did buy a Warwick, it would most likely be a Katanna.

3. I likely wouldn't consider any ovangkol-necked Warwick; I just have not liked any of them, though I try them every chance I get. Additionally, I'm not a fan of the Katana's shape(butt crack, horns look like they're not speaking to one another). I do love older(wenge)4-string warwicks- I had a sweet Thumb BO-4 & still have a Corvette FNA- both 98s.

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    +1000 to that. I don't mind the ovangkol s much as I prefer their shallower old-school neck profiles. OK so the wenge necks are awesome too.

never played a Katana but it's my favorite "current production" warwick body shape (i'm a fortress freak and don't like marital aids on my bass, so the corvette is OUT)

5. Okay, I owned one, the NT (I also own a Pro Line) -- it doesn't sound or feel like a Corvette; it balances better and has a nicer neck (to me) than the wenges. I'm sorry I returned it. As far as looks, well, it looks different. Not bad, just different.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Not to derail the thread too much, but you're a good bit off with this comment.

The body design for the Streamers/Spectors was created by Ned Steinberger and licensed to Spector. So first-off, Stuart Spector did not create that body shape. The original Warwick Streamers had "Licensed by Spector" printed on the truss rod covers. Over the years the body shape has changed to a large enough degree that they no longer have to print that. Additionally I've read that at one point the issue was brought in front of a court and the matter was either dropped or settled in favor of Warwick (there are conflicting reports on that aspect). Warwick owes Spector no royalties at all.

Derail complete, please return to your regularly scheduled programming :bassist:

Semi Actuated and Driven Crane like this.
  7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL

Derail not complete....:D

The version I heard/read was that Warwick kept on paying the royalties after Spector was sold to Kramer. Kramer went bankrupt and then out of business, so Warwick stopped paying the royalties. It took Spector 8 years to get full rights to his name brand, over which time Warwick had not been paying the royalty. Stu Spector than went about trying to get his royalties again from Warwick, but unsuccessfully.

I don't know how true all of this is, but it sounds pretty reasonable. I prefer Spectors anyways, but I would have no issues playing a 'Wick. In fact, I was GASing about a $$ 'Vette just this morning. :p

Sorry to derail even further.

8. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    ya but (and i will get a flaming) im more of a streamer guy then spector , dont get me wrong i have a spector as my first bass :smug: but the headstocks looks Sh*t the bridges they use are the worst looking yokes ever :rollno: and they never EVER look as nice as a Streamer, so ya warwick stole but at least IMO they do it better..

Semi Actuated and godley69 like this.
  9. It looks like a large buttocks. Not that I mind.

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Stole? No.

Licensed a design that Spector didn't even come up with, then modified it enough to no longer need to pay royalties? Yes.

:D

Semi Actuated and godley69 like this.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Looks like a toilet seat.

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    :)

14. rysker6

rysker6

Nov 18, 2008
    Chicago
    Its alright, I think in time more people will probably like it. Something about it was very similar to my Corvette but I couldn't put my finger on it. I have to agree with some people above and I would choose my Corvette over a Katana.

15. Beepo

Beepo

Sep 23, 2008
    Oslo, Norway
    All I can say is that I sat down and tried a Katana 5NT in a shop for a few minutes when it was a new model a few years ago, and I have never forgotten that bass for some reason. It just felt right in some way. On the downside, the looks are a good bit below average, and the price for a new one a good bit above. I am a previous Wick-owner, never really liked it(Streamer LX), and I don't really care for them in general, but the Katana just set it's mark on my mind. I might just go out and buy one if money stacks up one day.

16. Seems to be a lot of emphasis placed on looks here rather than performance. :rolleyes:

17. Just got one!!! I absolutely love it!! I will post pics and a review when I use it this weekend on some gigs....that will be the true test.
    Katana NT 4, flame maple top and neck, ebony fretboard and ash body for under $1000.00....I couldn't pass it up!!!! Thanks Guitar Center!!!!

18. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    meh my favorite body style is the Vampyre....and you don't ever see those in stores either!

just attended the Dallas Guitar Show and even went by a booth that specialized in Warwick.....not one vampyre....

19. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Very 80's looking design. If they would make it in carbon fiber with clear gloss, it would scream 80's.
    That is not positive in opinion. I could see Mark King use it to play the treble :p

20. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i actually like the Katana body. never cared for the corvette.