1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick or Modulus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seanreiter, Jan 20, 2012.

1. I've been offered a Modulus VJ or a Warwick FNA Jazzman in a trade. Have never played either and am not sure what I want. I already have a Warwick SS2 and I love my fender jazz.

Any opinions about either bass would be appreciated. I already know that it only matters what I think but I don't care. ;)

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    VJ. love the modulus necks

3. warwick07

warwick07 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2008
    I have played tons of wicks and I love them. But recently played a couple of modulus basses at planet bass in Minneapolis. If you already own a warwick then get the modulus. The necks are awesome and tone is to die for. It is growly and organic. They are light and comfortable. I have a quantum 4 in my future.

4. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Sep 16, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    An image of a bowl of apples and oranges floats in my mind.

I've had both (well, not a Jazzman), and I personally love Modulus. My Warwick was a superbly well made instrument, but I couldn't get over the neck (thick and rough). It was a German made Corvette 5, so it may not be a fair comparison anyway.

But in general, I don't think they are even remotely similar. I do know that there are a lot of people as fanatically devoted to Warwick as I am to Modulus, so obviously they have something going on.

If you like what a Jazz bass has to offer, and you like a modern sound, the neck on a well set up Modulus is one of the fastest things you'll ever play. The moment I first picked mine up in Bass Central, it felt like I could play things I never could before... i was inspired. But there was no way I was EVER going to spend $2000 dollars on a bass. Six months later, I did. It truly was that good.

So, I have no idea what's best for you, but I think I've made MY opinion clear ;)

5. jkjgiants26

jkjgiants26

Sep 12, 2009
    California
    modulus all the way. love the necks and the tones are amazing

6. When I was auditioning basses for my 'dream bass' the Modulus VJ was beat out by my Lakland by a hair. Fantastic bass, wouldn't mind having one down the road.

7. slapagroov

slapagroov

Apr 24, 2007
    Fort Myers, FL
    Love my VJ. I have a Flea 5 too. It's way more versatile, but the VJ has this great vintage tone that just sits in a mix amazingly. I use it most of the time for recording.

8. lasteffect

lasteffect

Jan 10, 2012
    South Carolina
    It depends one what you're looking for. You get the sort of Jazz sound from the VJ, but with the Graphite neck, you get a whole new sound. It's very clear sound from the neck, I might add.

The Jazzman has a 3 way switch for the humbucker, so, series, parallel, and single coil. And 3 band Eq.

So, I'm going to side with the Jazzman, because you have more tonal options with it.

I own a $$ Corvette, so I know about the ability to change its tone with a flip of a switch, I mean it. I can get that Jazz tone, the roll to the bridge and hit it in series for EBMM Stingray like tone. I like to pop it into parallel for the neck and get a pbass like tone.

I don't think youd lose with either bass.

9. My thoughts exactly.....I have a warwick so I would want to try something new and different which I'm sure the Modulus qualifies for!:bassist:

10. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    Modulus.

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Go with the Modulus. The only Warwicks I ever got along with were the late 90's Pro M / LX 4 strings with the 3 piece wenge necks and contoured maple Spector-esque bodies.

Riis

12. I went with the modulus. I didn't feel that the FNA was even in the same league as my SS2. Thanks for the advice, guys.

13. sprocket123

sprocket123

Feb 15, 2012
    Canada
    Hey buddy , whici Audere pre do you have , is it the Z-Mode or the Classic 4-Band Preamp .

& how it sounds please ,.

I m in the process to change my pre on a Warwick , just saw yours with an Audere

14. I have the z-mode and have never been too happy with it. My bass has major playability issues, so I don't know that the preamp I completely to blame. I was playing it last night and found an EQ that I was happy with. I find the z-mode to be useless. I'd rather just have the four band.

15. WorshipBassist

WorshipBassist

Oct 9, 2011
    Take it for a Warwick owner, MODULUS in any case but this! The Jazzman is an amazing bass I prefer over Ken Smiths/super high end basses.

16. sprocket123

sprocket123

Feb 15, 2012
    Canada
    Yep , it s the Audere 4-Band Preamp that I m looking for also , Thanx for the comeback buddy

17. My son had a Modulus VJ that sounded great. He went through a period where he was buying/selling basses every few months. I would have bought the VJ from him if I had cash on hand at the time.

Rick B.

18. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    Depends on what sound you want.
    I have had a q6 for 20 yrs. sound is great clear and modern. Neck will stay stable longer than you.

The wick will be woody and darker. Both are great. I'd take he modulus but Warwick would not be a bad choice either..

19. sprocket123

sprocket123

Feb 15, 2012
    Canada
    lol , I hear you , I have a Status Empathy 6 & it has a graphite neck also , no problem , but I would like to try a Modulus one day

20. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    I had a stunning quilted maple VJ with all graphite neck, Bartolini pickups and 2 band.... awsome bass to play, did i like the tone...nope... might be different with an audere.. My Fender 75 RI smokes it in the tones department..