1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Thumb & Mesa Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MCB 5150, Mar 18, 2013.

1. MCB 5150

MCB 5150 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Rockford, IL
    TB Members,

I play a Warwick Thumb NT5 and have recently been using my Mesa Walkabout Scout 15" combo (w/ 15" extension cab). I'm finally starting the get the Walkabout EQ'd the way I want. I have searched high and low on TB and other forums and read hundreds of posts about the Thumb and Walkabout regarding EQ suggestions, but have not found a post on the Thumb and Walkabout together. I'm hoping a fellow TB member that has had the same setup and achieved their desired tone would be able to pass along some EQ tips. I've been able to get deep tone with not much punch/clarity in the higher registers, and I've also achieved the opposite (higher registers punchy & lows too thin). I've tried splitting the difference to no avail. I understand the parametric EQ, active bass & treble, and passive mid controls. I'm close to the tone I desire, just a few steps away from the sweet spot, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    MCB 5150

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I am long time Walkabout user and just bought a Thumb 4 NT. Very different tone then what I was used to which is the Stingray sound. The Thumb is a much brighter, snappier, aggressive sounding bass with less natural "thump" then a Stingray. I simply boost the low mids a little on the Walkabout eq and pretty much leave her set flat. I leave the bass flat with both pickups blended equally and its a monster tone.

The Walkabout is just so well voiced to my ears and the Thumb's unique tone is really growing on me. I have a Corvette $$ and a Streamer $$ (both German) and they sound nothing like the Thumb.

I think you have a seriously good combo there!

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I acknowledge that this is a Thumb + Walkabout thread, so I apologize in advance for the OT interjection. But now you've got my curiosity aroused:

While you've described the voice of the Thumb NT, in what specific ways is it different from the voice of the Corvette $$ and the voice of the Streamer $$? I gots to know!

/OT

MM

4. MCB 5150

MCB 5150 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Rockford, IL
    Thanks Crabby for the reply. I'd like to followup on your recommendation:

When you say "low mids" are boosted a little, does that mean the the lowest range of the parametric EQ, the active bass control, or the passive mid control? And if you boost parametric EQ, what frequency? And when you say "leave the bass flat," does that mean on the Thumb or the Walkabout?