Warwick Thumb strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GODSBASSMAN, Feb 16, 2017.

1. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    What strings do Thumb players use most? I am finger style player, support bass player, not really a slapper or solo act. "Nothing sounds like a Thumb" so why mess up that beloved tone with the wrong strings? I have Warwick black label set on it now and really like them in the week they have been on.
    What do you use? There are too many makes and models to make this a poll. My cupboard currently has Rotosound 66, Labella steel wound series and nickle plated series, Sit exposed core, DR high beam, Sunbeams, Rotosound 99 PSD, Dean Markley helix all have not been tried yet.

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. The Rotos should make it growl nicely! :) DR's are good strings too with a more polite midrange and lower tension if that's what you're looking for. Very crisp.
    Take care,
    Brent

3. jharms80439

jharms80439

Nov 23, 2004
    Evergreen, CO
    Depends on the sound you are going for. I have two Thumb basses - one each fretted and fretless.

On the fretted I've used GHS Compression Wounds, Fat Beams, TI Jazz Flats and now have Chromes on it.

Fretless had a variety of rounds and now has Rotosound GHS Nylons.

Both basses sound great. But if you're looking for brighter flats, you may want to try Cobalts. The buzz has them as brighter than most flat and tons of growl.

John

4. Hawk99TA

Hawk99TA

Jan 5, 2018
    Salisbury, NC
    Hi guys. I have an 03' Warwick Thumb NT 5 String. I love the way it feels and plays...but I would like the sound to be a little lighter, brighter and less growly. With more personality than low end thud. (I love all thise attributes but for my purposes I need something a little different.) What strings would you recommend I give a try. Also I'd rather not do any sanding to the bridge to fit strings in. I had recently bought some Ernie Ball Super slinkies and they did not fit(I knew this but had a brain fart). Any advice would be great. Thanks!

5. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    I've had Black Labels on my Thumb's and IMO they sounded good but I wanted more character. I have DR Pure Blues on both of my Thumb's now. I like the warm mid-tones with enough bite when needed. Also string gauge might be a consideration, I'm playing lights with .40-100 for my 4 and .40-125 for my 5 string.

6. Hawk99TA

Hawk99TA

Jan 5, 2018
    Salisbury, NC
    Great advice. So these should fit my bridge without any sanding? And with your lights, is there any string noise?

Also, I just put some La Bella flats in my J bass and absolutely love how smooth it plays. Does anyone have any experience with flats on a fiver thumb?

7. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    No sanding, the adjust a nut has no issues with standard or light gauge.

I have the LaBella flat blacks on my Precision 4 string... But I'm not a huge fan of flats in general, I did it as an experiment and it is cool on my P-bass but it is not a primary player for me.

Hawk99TA likes this.
  8. Hawk99TA

Hawk99TA

Jan 5, 2018
    Salisbury, NC
    So from another post that I read, I got the idea to put the B string of those super slinkies that I tried, in my vice and compress the end that goes in the bridge. It worked. No sanding! Sweetness. But I'm not sold on those strings just yet.

9. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    90s Thumb BO 5, now my main axe for everything from jazz to rock to country. Prefer darker sound. Like Nickels as they last longer. Still have 5 or 6 sets of lowriders left but also hve a set of Rotosound swing 66 tempting me. The B string only gets changed when it doesnt play in tune. Low riders last a long time. Tried steels once and went back to nickels.

Hawk99TA likes this.
  10. I did something like that for a while using pliers to pitch the string. Dr high beam 45-125 fits warwick bridges without having to do that though and I happen to like them

Hawk99TA likes this.
  11. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Recently bought a -98 Warwick Thumb 5-string bass. I just ordered a Warwick Black Label 45-135 string set, but I wonder if some of the DR offerings are better. I am especially considering DR Pure Blues, DR Sunbeams or DR Nickel Lo-Riders. I am not a fan of the harsh brightness of new strings, but love a strong midrange an the deep rumble of a tight B-string (so gauges under 130 are not for me).
    Do you good people have experience with those three sets, and especially compared to the Warwick Black Label?

I have been playing flats on 4 string basses almost exclusively for the last 3-4 years, so choosing a good roundwound set for the Thumb bass is a new experience for me.

...and sorry for waking up the old thread. It seemed to be the right one for my question, though.

12. I've been on a string journey for my Yamaha 5-string (my first 5'er) and one of the things I've discovered is hex-core B strings seem to work better for being "tight and solid" compared to round-core ones due to their stiffness. Of the three mentioned, all of which I've tried in the past, I would go with the Nickel Lo-Riders (hex core).

DISCLAIMER: No personal experience with Warwick strings.

Shardik likes this.
  13. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    Warwick Blacks are good strings and sound warm to my ears. I have those on an older six and like them.

On my 4 & 5 string Thumbs I have DR Pure Blues and love them.

Shardik likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021