Washburn ATB T25 Taurus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C//LiMBa, May 5, 2004.

1. does this bass sounds good? because it looks awsome and it's soooo cheap for a 5 string neck through! i don't know anybody who plays a washburn, so i cant tell if its a bad or a good company...

horny pictures:
  2. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    My experience with Washburns is basically that they are quite well-built instruments, but cursed with horrible electronics. The Taurus has fairly standard-looking J pickups, so they shouldn't be too difficult to swap out. I suggest some MECs with the MEC circuit for that Warwick sound... :D

Russ :bassist:
  3. I think Washburn finally has a winner in the bass dept. Now, if they had offered an American Made version, I'd bet it would be a huge seller...

not to take away from the merits of this Vietnamese built version...I've quite been wanting to try one.
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I bought one about 4 months ago, and I love it. Mine needs a setup though real bad (the 1st 2 frets on the low B are all buzz... just a setup issue) and I got mine for a good price, because it had a little fretwork done, and wasn't 100% cosmetically. It sounds and plays great, it's got a nice low B, and it's got a great growly/thumpy sound to it. The pickups are suprisingly good (well, i like them), but the pots need to be replaced (at least on mine). It's a great bass for the money, the neck is really comfy and it looks great. The sound is growly, and it does have some warmth, and even some Mwahhh. Bubinga as a fingerboard is awesome. This bass would be an AMAZING fretless. I'm getting a really slick 5 pretty soon, and I might look into having this thing defretted. I really want a fretless, and I know this would have a perfect sound. I'm probably going to get mine set up today, and then I'll let you know how it goes after the setup.
  5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I have a Washburn P that was as Russ said: a good instrument with cheap electronics. I rebuilt that one with Seymour Duncan QP's and new pots and jack, and am more than satisfied with it now, but out of the box it was weak.

I recently bought the 4-string version of the Taurus, and I see no need to swap the pickups or pots. The pots are oddly arranged (neck pup volume is the one closest to bridge, and vice-versa; takes a little getting used to), but as for tone and playability, I like this baby just the way it is; a good setup and string change is all that's needed.
  6. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I have seen the same Washburn T-25 but with a single Basslines MM5 humbucker. They look nice for the money.
  7. i just got back from the music shop and must say: the taurus has a horrible sound! it was like i was playing on some cheap ass bass! i also tested an ibanez srx500 and if i hadn't the washburn force5 to test, i would be crying, the srx had a sound like banging iron bars together...

for the washburn force5: it's a fantastic bass, bit heavy, but sounds godlike! and i also dig the look of it! too bad its price is so high...
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I really wouldn't say it's a winner on any front.

Ok, so it looks semi-decent, but those "multi-laminate-exotic-neckthrus" are popping out everywhere, you can buy a Carlo Robelli for something like $200, Peavey for $400, Epiphohe, Tobias, et cetera.

What it lacks is two things: personality and good electronics. For me, I need them, and I need them both, in a same package.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jerzy Drozd must be pissed.
  10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hmm, might be a bad hunk of wood, because mine sounds really really good. It does need a setup. It's really warm, and tons of mwah, from a fretted instrument. It's mellow sounding... would be perfect for Jazz/Blues.
  11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    C//LiMBa did you happen to try an Ibanez SRX505 those are actually pretty good. (considering i HATE Ibanez basses), the top of the pickups are scalopped so your thumb fits in real nice, no joke it was actually the comfiest bass i ever held, i want pickups like that :( ANyways I'm off topic sorry. I owuldnt know about the quality of Washburns, I was in Cuba for a week and spent time with the bassist of one of their bands and he had a washburn 5 string (it was old, needed a neck adjustment and had decayign strings) it was a pretty comfy bass though.

Concerning washburns, does anyone know if they still make the RB2602, the black six string wiht the little triangle like pickguard, I was wondering cause back in the day when i wanted a 6string i found it beautiful, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore, would anyone know?
  12. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses

Word on the street is, Jerzy WAS pissed. According to an extremely high-profile luthier who shall remain nameless, this caused quite the scandal at NAMM!

13. SRX505 = SRX500 + 1 string ;) it sounded like my EDA900, Icecold! I like a more warm sound. Wich brands beside washburn have nice warm basses?
    though, i like the looks of the SRX505:
  14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Just made my day! I'm taking the plunge on a 5 string and the Force 5 is the one I ordered BECAUSE of the wood type and ACTIVE electronics. Thanks!!! I'll let U know how mine is....
  15. glad i could help you! i'm a bit jealouse!!!!
  16. gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    I'm looking into getting my first 5 string and I wanted to know more about this bass too.

1. What is the neck profile like? I have an Ibanez sr400 that I love the neck on, but I don’t know how that really compares to 5 string. The only 5 string I ever played was a Fender MB5, it had a very nice shaped neck too, I would've gotten it, but I didn't want a 5 at the time.

2. How does it sound? Would anyone happen to have a sound clip of it? I can’t get anywhere to try it, and would like it if I could get a better idea of how it sounds.
  17. gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    has anyone here who's played this bass also played an MB5 or a soundgear who can give me some kinda comparison?
  18. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have a Taurus 5'er. The general consensus in this thread is that the bass rocks and the electronis suck.>>... :D Nothing could be closer and ring more true. Washburn brought in a bass that riveled their late 70's basses with passion. They are solid, heavey (I like heavey), and have a good feel. THE ELECTRONICS SUCK SUCK SUCK. I just changed out the preamp and pots 2 days ago and have not plugged it into my full rig yet. If the EMG pre doesn't make those crappy pick-ups sound any better than I will have to chnge them as well :scowl: . Mine needed the tailpiece filed on the G-side and it needed a fret job. Cost me $70. Not that big of a deal. I really like the shap and feel though. We can save it, we have the technology :D
  19. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Disclaimer: I don't like Washburns ... I own an Ibanez SRX505.

Most of the Washburns I've played have been very uncomfortable to me and I don't care for the sound at all. Plus, IMO, the bass isn't of such a high construction quality that it's worth modding it .

The SRX505 is a solid, kick-*ss bass, but the string spacing is a little tight for me. It is powerful though, very powerful, and is a great rock/funk bass. I played it nearly exclusively for 3 years until a recent 6 string purchase, now it's just getting dusty, so I put it up for sale.
  20. gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    I'd still like to get a little more info on the shape of the neck though, if possible. The Bass Player review said it has a shallow C shaped neck, but I don't know what that means. I had a Peavey Fury II Before I got my Ibanez, and the neck was barely narrower (fretboard) on my ibanez but it was slightly thicker from front to back, and I think that made it more comfortable to me.

Sorry if I'm asking a lot, but I can't drive 100 miles to try one, so I'll probably end up ordering one off the internet if I decide too, so I was just looking for a little more info.