1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Washburn Taurus 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgt Baker, May 12, 2011.

1. Sgt Baker

Sgt Baker

Aug 20, 2010
    This thing looks gorgeous, but I've never played that or any Washburn, anyone have or played one? If so, input?

2. Bluesdude5

Bluesdude5

Mar 14, 2011
    I had the Taurus 4 string. Very nice looking. Easy to play. But to me, the tone was lacking. Sorta thin. YMMV.

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I play a T-25 and have been very happy with it, though I should say I'm not one of these guys who has played dozens of different instruments to compare it to. The body is pretty compact and comfortable both standing and sitting. The neck has a nice feel, I guess more p than j but not too broad; string spacing is pretty narrow, so it's not a great instrument for slap. I haven't had any trouble with pickups, its tone is certainly more growl than thump, and it's passive so you don't have the preamp of an active bass (I often use my DI box as an outboard preamp even if I'm not going to a PA). Oh, and I've never had a problem with the tension of the B-string (still on factory strings, too) -- just doesn't have that floppiness that bedevils a lot of fivers.

So it's not all things to all people, but I would say that for what it does, it's a good bass for its price.

4. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    I also played the four string version of the Taurus. I can't speak much for the electronics, but the bass itself was quite comfortable and easy playing.

5. cbrophy

cbrophy

Nov 11, 2009
    Central MA.
    I have a T-14. It was my first bass. Not a bad guitar. The P pup is better than the J (a little thin) and it doesn't stay in tune for long...but nice tone and fast neck. Overall, I give it a "Not Bad".

Attached Files:

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The T-14 is in the Taurus series but it's very much the budget edition -- bolt-on neck, I don't think the tuners are Grovers, etc. Not sure if the pups are the same or not. The T-25 stays in tune quite well.

7. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    +1 Washburn T-24 (see photo in profile).

8. Hi.

I also have the T-24, so my observations may, or may not apply on the 5er.

I bought mine with defective TR (stripped nut), so I didn't play it that much, and it's still under construction ;).

The double acting TR on mine is (was) a nice feature, but as it's a "a nut in a barrell" style, the allen slot is tiny and will probably be stripped sooner than later.

The bass is tiny, and by tiny I mean funny looking on a heavily built (100kg/175cm) player. That may or may not pose a problem.

For some reason the pickups din't work well with my tube rig (thin as well) but on my SWR the sound was good.

The build construction and finishing is good, and for a NT, the price is very tempting.

IMHO "try before You buy" applies with this bass a bit more than usually.

Regards
    Sam

9. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    i have a T25 and T24, love 'em both. i like the passive pups. i can get a nice punchy tone that works well live and recording. i think these basses are underrated. i think it holds the B tension really well and it rings out nicely. it has a nice 'round' tone to the notes. these are my only mahog basses i really play and i like the sound of it.

excellent bang for buck.