wasted on stage

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Im not sure how approrite this thread might be and dont want to get in trouble so if its not aloud please delete it and im sorry a head of time but i was wondering how many people taken the stage under the influence? Ive seen and hear lots of stories of bands and people doing it all the time. As reckless and irresponsible as it was 3 out of 4 of us in my old band polished out a bottle of jager and a 12 pack.Man that was a mistake. I remember that one of our orginal songs was the hardest thing i think i ever played but the covers were much easier. falling over my cab, and my twin brother coming up to me and handing me coffe and sticking my finger in it trying to figure out what it is.
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hell, I can barely play sober, let alone drunk!
  3. Had a "killer" guitarist who couldn't live without a couple of pitchers before the gig; he had to go.
  4. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I can't play drunk, but I rarely play sober. I try to get a good buzz before I hit the stage just to get loosened up and relax.
  5. I made a list of activities that require coordination and timing which someone can do better when drunk. It was predictably a short list.

That said, having a beer before a set probably isn't a big deal if you need to calm down a little. Still, relying on alcohol to get your groove on is probably not a good path to start down.

Being a social drinker, I have no problem sipping on a few longnecks during a gig, where appropriate. But getting drunk before or during is a guaranted way to suck.
  6. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I like to have 3 or 4 while I'm waiting to go on, but any more and it turns into a disaster. I notice that once I'm on stage, moving around, headbanging, and sweating, I just want to drink water. Of course, after I get off stage is when I really want to drink. Get the gear in the car and get polished. :hyper:
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, listeners are too critical nowadays and band members are too sophisticated to tolerate the slop created by a loaded musician.
    It was certainly a lot different in the 70's.

GETTING LOADED ??? To me, that's the audience's job!!!

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    wasnt Jaco an alcoholic?? Dont go to shows drunk, practice drunk. Its like running with weights on your ankles. Itll make learning the songs harder, but then when you play shows itll be 10x easier :)
  10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I got drunk on stage once. I will never do that again.
  11. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    that's a cool picture rickbass. Eyesight when drunk is like that. Do you have another picture to show the effects of beer goggles on a woman? lol
  12. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Once at a show I was drunk, it was a disaster. Very fun though. I ended up falling off stage and into a thicket of grass. Our drummer always played drunk, this was the only show he was sober, the rest of us were drunk. It happened to be a personal favor for a friend, and he didn't mind that we were plastered, he happened to be too. My rule, no drinks when playing, I don't even like to drink the night before a gig because I try to be in tip top for the show.

13. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I have never drank before a gig... like my jazz gigs or musical theatre shows. They're usually a lot of reading, drunkenness would be a very bad thing.

I did have a shot or two of cheap vodka before my first rock show... that didn't get to me much. What did affect me was playing in a very hot room after not eating all day, I fainted after the set... then I woke up, put all my equipment away and got pissdrunk... it was weird
  14. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    lol. don't you just love the hyper-sensitivity of this board :smug:
  15. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i've played a couple of gigs in the last 2 weeks. Before that i hadn't gigged for 3 or 4 years or so. and i've noticed that my nerves are just as bad as then. i have to drink a couple to relax, not too much but 5 or 6 beers is a minimum for me to loosen up.
  16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As you wish, my friend.........

Note - I read about a study that was done in Vienna that refuted the findings of a study done in Scotland. Contrary to the Scottish study, the Vienna study said men do not become more attractive to inebriated women....unlike we poor men who wake up the next morning, look at the pillow next to us and think, "How did this sheep get in my room ?!?!"
  17. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I've played so wasted that I couldn't remember it the next day quite a few times. But I try not to anymore. I play so badly when drunk. But sometimes it's hard when the audience is buying you shot after shot, how do you say, "nah, I'm good," when they just paid 6 bucks for a shot for you? But a few beers is ok for me. My last show I just drank water, not one drink.
  18. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    In over twelve years of stage performance, I've only been trashed on stage three times. All were disasters. Can't play, stand, perform, sing, ugghhh. Stopped doing that a long time ago.
  19. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    my 21st birthday was the only gig I was drunk at