Water Cooled

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by M0ses, Feb 28, 2010.

1. fast slapper

fast slapper Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Active cooled speakers is a much better idea. Big output, less losses.

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

With a heat pipe, all you'll do is move the heat. Then you need a fan to blow it away.

Blowing the fan directly onto the amplifier is the tried-and-true way.

3. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    buy a f**kn' fan, :bag:

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Do speakers get hot :confused: that's a whole new world of possibilities!

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

5. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    Pure distilled water has the highest of dielectric coeficents...meaning it won;t conduct electricity.... where the problem comes in is how do you want to cool the power amp.....not cost efective or safe in mho...let the mfgrs do it for us!!

my 2 cents worth

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, speakers get hot. Technically, a speaker's wattage has as much to do with power put into it as thermal dissipation.

Yeah, distilled water won't conduct electricity, but once it touches the dust on a circuit board, it's no longer pure water...

7. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Moses:
    Don't listen to all of these internet knowitalls telling you that it can't be done.
    I know where you are coming from (what you're thinkng) and it's been done and can be a practical option in some applications.

I think that the issue is that you used the word "water" instead of "liquid". Different lightweight oils are used for cooling amps more than you would think.

Here's one link:
    http://www.realhamradio.com/liquid-cooling.htm

Try googling liquid cooled amplifier.

8. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Speakers heating up causes power compression IIRC, which is a significant loss in output.

9. Well to be honest, that's a bit harsh. I mean it's not a horrible idea and in certain circumstances it COULD be useful. Like in a studio where noise might be a problem and amps wouldn't be moved a lot.

10. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    The idea isnt crazy, but its rather complicated when a lot of amps I see simply dont have sufficient air cooling capacity in the first place.

Remember, its all well and good to have water as the medium which carries thermal energy away from the internal components, but you still need a larger capacity radiator and fan on the outside of the amp to dissipate that heat into the air. This gets very complicated fast.

I modified a 400 watt amp which would get very hot at high power loads and start to make a burning smell. The radiator grills on the sides were very big, but didnt have enough air flow at all, so I attached 4 computer fans and cut some extra ventilation in the case. It helped immensely, and no longer gets hot.

11. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    This idea has merit. Instead of liquid cooling, make it refrigerative cooling. The cooling coils are connected directly to the heat sink on the amp. There's a weight penalty, but if you played on the moon, it wouldn't really matter.

12. Well sure, but then you have the whole 'sound doesn't happen in a vacuum' problem.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021