1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

We old schoolers should be ashamed.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Woodchuck, May 6, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    There's been ALOT of Old School Funk/R&B bassists threads, but there are 4 names that are consistantly absent. Robin Duhe (Maze), Ronald LaPread (Commodres), Abraham "Onion" Miller (LTD), and most importantly, Janice Marie Johnson from A Taste of Honey. Yeah, we all know "Boogie Oogie Oogie", but she's MUCH more than that. Listen to songs like "Do It Good" and "Rescue Me" and you'll understand. She came in at a time where noone would take her serious, because she was a woman in the funk world, but players like Jamerson, Verdine White and Ronald La Pread took her under their wings and gave her support. Say what you will about her, but she wrote what is argubly one of THE most famous bass solos in R&B/soul/funk history. We old schoolers should be ashamed for not giving these guys their full due. :scowl: :bassist:

lowdownthump likes this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree that more people shouold be getting their due respect. Janice Marie Johnson laid down some smooth stuff and I really was a fan Robin Duhe. I had the privilege of seeing him live about four times. He rocked his p-bass. I saw Ronald LaPread before the Commodores had a record out and they were an unknown band opening for the Jackson Five. Ilater saw them during the period of their greatest crossover success. My all time favorite line of LaPread's was "I Feel anctified." That was super funky! Abraham Miller from LTD stood oput because he was not a slapper per se
    HE really had a solid feel and used lots of octaves. Think about "Back in Love Again" and "Holdin' On."

Woodchuck, what was the name of the bassist with Kleer? He used pick and roundwounds and I really dug his sound. Back in the day I had a Rickenbacker and I used a pick and roundwounds pretty often. I would try to sound like Chris Squire and be funky at the same time!:D

3. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    well, im not an oldie or anything. but i give props to janice marie johnson!

i have a self titled cd of a taste of honey and man does she lay it down! very groovy stuff on the entire album!

lowdownthump likes this.
  4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    im a young dude and the only one out of the bunch i have heard is the dude from the commodores. i have their live album and he is pretty smoking. thanks for listing these other people too woodchuck. more jams and licks for me to cop:hyper:

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I agree as well! Robin Duhe is a fantastic player and extremely groove oriented! If I'm not mistaken, he has a solo cd out!

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Janice is a very Talented Bassist and a rightfully deserving contributor just as the other Bassist mentioned by The Rodent.Janice put out a solo CD a few years ago that featured a Latin version of Boogie Oogie Oogie.I remember once me and Janice were hanging out and I asked her to check out one of Chris Celenders J Basses and she's playing and doing her thing she busts out with the Bass line of Boogie oogie oogie and Chris's eyes light up.after that me and Janice left and later that evening I ran into Chris and he asked me(even tho I had introduced them)who was the Bass player that was playing Boogie Oogie Oogie,when I told him that she wrote it,and that she's the Bassist for A Taste of Honey he all most fainted :)

I have Robin Duhe's solo recording and it's a well thought out and produced CD.

http://www.blaisetwo.com/artists.htm

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was reading the credits on my Devotion CD, and Abraham switched to sax, while Henry E. Davis manned the lowend.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Whatever. :rolleyes: Just admit it....You were checking on the credits of your LTD Devotion RECORD!

:smug::D:p

Old fart. :D

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just today I was re-visting some old Commodores..."Come Inside", "Thumpin' Music", "Fancy Dancer", "Squezze The Fruit", & "Machine Gun"(which really sounds more & more like "Outa-Space" each time I hear it). Anyway, LaPread is kickin'.

...and some L.T.D. I checked out today-
    "Holding On", "Jam", & "You Fooled Me" & "Back In Love Again"...more good stuff from the day; brings back good memories.
    FWIW, I have LTD's Togetherness on LP...what's the problem? Henry E. Davis...yes.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

'Muki' Wilson - Crown Heights Affair
    Robert Wilson - Gap Band
    Robert 'Kool' Bell - Kool & The Gang
    The cat who played for Teena Marie (anyone know his name?)
    Joe Hall - The Blackbyrds
    The cat who played for T-Connection (anyone know his name?)

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I forgot about T-Connection! The bassist was the brother of the keyboardist, Theophilus Coakley. That dude was ridiculous. What about Otis Reddings bass playing son in The Reddings? Remember the "Awakening" and "Class?"

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dexter Redding! A monster of a bassist! Wonder what he's been up to all these years?!

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    When it wasn't Teena Marie playing Bass on her tracks(she really is a talented Bassist) it was usually Allen McGrier(he's also an arranger,songwriter and producer)and the Bassist for T-Connection was Kirkwood Coakley(who also played Drums).

lowdownthump likes this.
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Please don't tell me that was her on 'Lover Girl' or 'Behind The Groove'??!! Those basslines are sick!!

15. seebee

seebee

Dec 17, 2004
    Philadelphia,Pa
    One of the cats that played with Teena Marie was Allen Mcgrier I think he may have done Square Biz::bassist:

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I agree, you old fogies should be ashamed.

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Am I the only guy who remembers Kleeer?:(

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Aww....come on now!! LOL! Of course not!! There's so many bands from that era it's hard to remember them all!

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    You're right.

Remember Fire cracker by Mass Production from the summer of 79 with Kevin Douglas on Bass ?

20. seebee

seebee

Dec 17, 2004
    Philadelphia,Pa
    For some odd reason when these records came out me and most of my friends that played were too busy coping the lines than checking who was playing them. Back then if you couldn't play Slide(Slave) or Car Wash(Rose Royce) or Drop it in the Slot(Tower of Power) you were dead. Ironically Drop it in the Slot was a big hit on Black Radio when it came out. It was the dance party song when I was in 7th grade Along with the Brecker Bros. Keep it Steady. I've read the album credits back then but 30+ years is getting to be alot of remembering. :bassist: