Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird Cabinet Configurations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sidecar666, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Has anyone ever seen any weird speaker combinations (i.e. 10-6" drivers) or weird enclosures? Things that are way out there?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    phil jones (right?)

makes 16x8's and such... even had a 48x8" i beleive.

and a 600w all tube head.

3. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Phil Jones uses 5" drivers.
    I don't think anyone has ever made a 16x8' or even a 1x8', :smug:
    perhaps a 1x8".

Sorry that I'm acting like an even more pedantic Bruce Lindfield, (that's not an insult Bruce, I find you quite funny) but it was just too hard to resist.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    EA made a 1x8 (VL-108) and a 2x8 (VL-208). SWR has used 8's in a variety of configurations, as have several other manufacturers. Low Down Sound makes custom cabs, and I have personally seen 1x8's, 2x8's, 3x8's, 4x8's and 5x8's (I own one of these!) from LDS.

But Phil's use of multiple 5" drivers is probably bleeding edge on the unique driver configurations chart...

5. I recently picked up (4) Alpha-6 for use in a vertical array as part of a 4x12 bi-amp project.

I have several Tubas to build first, but will get around to the Alpha project later this summer. I have every reason to expect it to perform well.

6. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes I know that many cabinets have been made with 8 INCH drivers, I just don't think any have been made with 8 FOOT drivers which is what an 8' would be. 8' means eight feet, 8" means eight inches.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    ZOOM!!! Right over my head!!! :D I must have been having a Spinal Tap moment!

Touche', my friend!

Tom.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The weirdest ones I've seen in a bass amp are the styrofoam trapezoidal shaped drivers that Fender and Yamaha both used in the late 60s and early 70s.

Walsh drivers and plasma drivers are hi-fi, not bass, but deserve honorable mention anyway, 'cause they're keWl. :cool:

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Eights are great..anyway...Back in the day I used to use a Bose speaker cab for upright, and smaller EB applications. I can't remember the model # but I remember the speaker enclosure had something like 12 little 4" speakers, it was flat and punchy, as I remember it anyway, no 5 strings EB's back then though. I think is was a 908 or 608 or something...wish I still had it!!!

10. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i think my ampeg pr1528he is unusual--a deep cab w/ 2x8" and 1x15 w/ the 15 downward firing at a 45 degree angle.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That does look pretty unsual, and pretty cool!

[​IMG]

How does it sound?

Tom.

12. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I used to use a cabinet Made by G.L.I. that had four 5" speakers and a tweeter firing out front and a 15" passive radiator on the back. The cab was small, light and did pack some punch in certain rooms. Of course if you had a curtain behind you or you played outdoors, you lost some low end. But when you're talkin' abot a package that was 20" by17" by10" and weighed 26 lbs.....

13. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana

I never played bass through one, but my old band used four of the Bose 802 speakers for mains (8 x 4 1/2" speakers per cab).

14. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    i'm using a cabinet that is loaded with 12 6.5" speakers. I'm about to separate it into 3 4x6.5" cabs though since its around 100 lbs in 12x6.5 form.