1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WEIRD vintage bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by poisonoakie, Jan 24, 2012.

1. poisonoakie

poisonoakie

Nov 26, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Has anyone ever seen one of these basses before? I can't even find a picture of one online. It's headstock is marked "Greco" and has a strange amorphous paddle shape to it. It's made in japan and has me baffled. Any info would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Pretty cool whatever it is!

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Greco has been around for probably 40+ years. They started off as one of the cheap Japanese knock off bass brands and worked themselves into a fairly well thought of Japanese bass company doing knock offs.

4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Greco was known to make copies, they made Ric copies.

5. poisonoakie

poisonoakie

Nov 26, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Has anybody ever seen this model? I've seen a couple of their fender and ric copies, but never anything like this.

6. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    Most of the better Japanese "lawsuit" makers tried their hand at original designs at one time or another. Most were pretty unsuccessful (except Ibanez).

It's probably pretty decent quality if it's a Greco...just a little odd looking.

7. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    It's a Japanese instrument from the early-mid 60s. Most of them sound bad and are almost unplayable. But they look pretty cool.

Later stuff coming from Japan was of unequal quality, but they made some great instruments (Univox, Ibanez, Tokai, Aria, El Degas, Greco, and stuff like that). A lot of brand were coming from the same factories.

8. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    No, this isn't a real Greco, it's a knock-off.

9. TheTiptonian

TheTiptonian

Jan 24, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Never seen anything like it before..looks pretty cool though!

10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I appreciate vintage Japanese instruments. I've owned three Matsumoku basses & a Teisco
    Popular among alternative bands Sonic Youth, Blonde Redhead, and starving artists.

11. The Lemon

The Lemon Banned

Aug 16, 2011
    10 Posts into a Greco thread, and no JimmyM? I'm getting worried...:p

12. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    It appears to have some of the same hardware that was used on this Avalon. I'm always trying to draw conclusions about where this thing is made, but I've yet to get anywhere with the search.
    Bass%252520full%2525209.

13. Wow! That looks pretty similar to my first bass which I lost track off years ago, around '76. Mine had no name on it but here's one I found web surfing a couple of years ago like it.

crestwood-bass.

Wish I could find another just to have it. Yeah those played like crap.