Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Welcome to the new Welcome forum ;)

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by paul, Feb 21, 2006.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I've added this forum to facilitate new member introductions and greetings. You've probably seen similar forums on other community websites. It's about time we implemented this :)

Have fun, and be nice ;)

Paul

2. Sweet, I'll break this thing in. I am brand spankin new.. as of last night. I have been "stealing" info from this site for months now and decided to get a clear conscious and throw some of my hard gigged money in the TB hat. I am a stay-at-home dad, wood craftsman (house carpentry), Architecture school drop-out and bass playing machine. Thanks to the admins for running a good clean site... except for all the kids running around here, "blind leading the blind" I think some one said recently somewhere in a thread. Anyway, I look foward to lending some advice when I can, learning and growing as a bass player and getting to know some of you.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hi I'm new. Which bass is the best?

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

+1

Also, how do I get that Les-Flea-Nut kind of sound?

;)

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Oh, you jokers...

I'm actually new, although I was a non-support for a while. This site is good, but I suck. Meh, it's still fun.

6. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    turn your volume up and hope for the best

7. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Been lurking and posting here forever, but I decided I wanted a cool avatar thingy and access into the cookie jar.

-- Newspaper editor and night-shift four-banger. No band, no prospects except for a classical guitarist who is incredibly over-critical of my minimal-theory knowing self.

I suck, but can't stop playing the damn thing.

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Hello, I'm Tony.

I've been playing for about 10 years now and have been in and out of bands. My current project is a type of jam/jazz fusion style and the bands website can be found in my sig. It is still underconstruction, but feel free to click on it anyways. Nothing is really there, but click it. Come on, click it...

Also, I'm pretty decent at making custom avatars, and would be willing to help any members here with theirs. See my avatar for my latest work.

9. sj_sparks

sj_sparks

Feb 22, 2006
    Hi another newbie here,
    My name is Steve, I played bass in a band or 2 about 15 years ago (yeah I am that old).

I have been playing guitar for the last 3 years or so but want to get back into bass, and hence have been looking for an economical but reasonable reintroduction bass.

My local store has just got in a used Hohner Jack 4 string headless bass.

Anyone have any experience of these ? Compared to say a Yamaha RBX374/375

10. clipbassist

clipbassist

Feb 22, 2006
    Hey all.

I just stumbled across this site the other day. Looks like there is a lot of good info here.
    I've played bass in metal bands for years now. I'm looking into getting some new gear and
    this seems to be great place to do some research.

11. oc-bass

oc-bass

Sep 9, 2005
    I'm sort of new, I've posted a few times but been looking at this site everyday for the past 6 months, I suck at playing bass but love playing and this is the best website ever

12. myseri

myseri

Feb 20, 2006
    Well, I have owned a bass for a while, been messing around on it in my spare time (read: once a week maybe) for about the past 3 years, and recently got my band back together to find our old bassist had moved away. I have decided that it is now or never to pick up the slack, and am looking forward to gathering as much information as I can as I proceed down the road that rock takes me on.
    Jonathan
    AkA
    Myseri

13. Howdy LowEnd Brothers!!
    My name is Joe and i have been lurking in the corners of talkbass for about two years or so now, but decided to take this opportunity to say hello and introduce myself to the Gut thumpers world. Ive been playing for about 17 years or so and have an addiction to 6-strings(Electric and EUB)(but i promise i wont stop there....i have my eye on a conklin 7 right now....drool......). I run a Music store in Tallaboogie Fl, and play in a couple of projects..some with label support...and some with none. If i can help anyone out with pretty much anything i am more that willing. I do some repairs/mods, but i also employ the best Strings repair tech in the panhandle region(...just my opinion =) ) as well as an awesome amp repairman..tube, solid state, hybrids, mods..whatever. I think this community(Talkbass) is an awesome idea and kudos to the higher ups...only in the world of bassplayers can we meet and discuss with out those de-dang egos getting in the way. Im also in the planning stages of creating a N. Fla/ S. Ga Bass players collective, a place for bassplayers to meet and exchange ideas and views on gear, techniques, repair, and just life knowledge..road/war stories....in a physical enviroment...plus a chance to try out and get your hands some very cool/high end gear. So if your interested let me know...i plan on becoming a supporting member of talkbass in the very near future. Sorry for the ramblings...im kind of a spaz.....oh yeah...im 24 years old.
    Look forward to seeing you on the message boards,
    Joe

14. Greetings to y'all,

bassbuck here starting again (after a very lengthy lay-off from playing) with a newly acquired 1999 5/4 Pöllmann Busetto 5- stringer. It'a quite a switch from my old little 3/4 French bass to this huge instrument. The years between then and now work to my advantage as I try to regain my chops without much of the faulty technique that I seemed to have left behind. The increased string length forces me to concentrate more than ever on intonation and tone and the extra string means more attention to bow movement.

Most orchestral passages are coming back into shape fairly quickly EXCEPT the first few bars of The Bartered Bride Overture with the quick slurred string crossings. Any suggestions about a good way to practice this? I'm really frustrated with this one.

Good to be back in the bass brotherhood!

bassbuck signing off with a reminder from a 5-stringer: "Don't B-sharp; don't B-flat; B-NATURAL!"

15. tex_bassguy

tex_bassguy

Feb 22, 2006
    Little Elm,Tx
    Hello All!:hyper:

I'm a longtime lurker and also decided to speak out. I'm an old f*** compared to most here, and have only recently decided to pick up bass. I look forward to soaking in all the wisdom my fellow TB'ers can offer

16. :bag:

Hey guys. I look forward to learning new things and seeing everyone's amazing basses.

Rock on! :bassist:

17. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm new too.
    What's the difference between MIM and MIA?

Thanks!

-Mark

;)

18. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    geez, for a newbie you post alot! :rolleyes: :smug:

19. Hossinn

Hossinn

Feb 22, 2006
    Hello All,

I've been on a mission lately to find the fattest sound possible. I play bass in a ska/reggae/rocksteady (not so much ska in our old age - been in band since 1985). I currently play a 4 string MusicMan Stingray through an Ampeg SVT Classic with 810 Fridge. I also just purchased a 5 string headless Hohner and play an acoustic 4 string Martin.

The sound I'm getting just isn't fat enough for me! Not sure if I need a new bass or a new rig.

Any suggestions?

Nice to be here...

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    well first step is to give me the music man. ;)

try some effects.