1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well, I KNEW it was gonna happen....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Mar 11, 2008.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    From the Browne Basses website:

Browne Basses custom order schedule is now full. We would like to keep our wait time to a minimum on custom orders that have already been placed. For those of you that have inquired about a bass in the past, you are still more than welcome to place your order, but we will not be accepting any new inquiries at this time.

There will be an announcement sometime in the near future when the order schedule reopens, so please stay tuned!

Thanks again for all of your interest and keep an eye out for completed basses in the gallery.

Guys, his basses are simply RIDICULOUS!! I am so lit up about the playability, feel, tone, looks, EVERYTHING, that I ordered ANOTHER bass! I've posted these before, but they deserve another look! Here it is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one I ordered will look like this:
    33 1/2 inch scale

heavy ash body

quartersawn maple neck

nice piece of quilted maple or italian olive for the top

stoooooooopiiiidddd birdseye maple back plate!

uber-Flamed maple centerblock

italian olive or maple headstock plate with pink ivory tag and maple or walnut "Browne" logo

pink lined pink ivorywood fretless with maple lines and abalone dot inlays

pink ivorywood nut

walnut lines to seperate the centerblock from the top and center-block

chrome Hipshot hardware!

pink ivorywood back headtock plate

wood knobs TBA

Nordstrand custom-spaced SEs in "Ultra-Jazz" (like my first Browne bass) position with pink ivorywood exposed-pole covers

Aguilar 3 band pre (WITH a blend knob )

face-mounted output jack

lotsa and LOTSA growl!!!!!

Enjoy the pics!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They look pretty sweet. I dig the CT influence.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    While it must be hard for anyone wanting a new bass, it is really good to see that a bass luthiere has so much work that he has to stop taking orders. :cool:

4. The knobs aren't so hot.. but in general thats a mighty sweet-looking 4-stringer. I'm already crazy for anything maple, so that thing is a real eye-catcher.. I wonder how the action is on that?

5. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    The action is ON the deck....about 2/64 or so...NO buzzes....AT ALL!
    I surprised at your not liking the knobs....I think they make the bass...I tried the black. Doesn't look even in the same ballpark....almost bad in comparison. The dark color gets totally lost in the top. The knobs ARE girthy, though, which I like. I've had several F Bass style knobs ( and the real ones on my BN4), and I like the feel of these much better.
    ...but then again, they're just knobs, right? ;) That's why there are choices!

6. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Whoa! I like it. I dig that CT influence too. Love that little turn at the end. Can you open beers with it? :p

What's his base price for something similar to your fretted four?

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of the looks but at least they're distinctive.

8. I love it, right up to where the fretboard ends :eyebrow:

9. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Whadda ya mean?

10. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    That headstock looks like it was designed by a three year-old, but the rest of the bass is much nicer.

11. The look really grows on you. At first I didn't like it. But now I love it!! Everything about it is beautiful!

12. Mr. BooBoo

Mr. BooBoo

Dec 12, 2007
    Dousman,WI
    Yea, I sleep with mine :p

13. Wow, that's really nice.

Website/prices?

14. Mr. BooBoo

Mr. BooBoo

Dec 12, 2007
    Dousman,WI
    Brownebasses.com

prices are no longer listed on his page so you might have to e-mail/call him yourself if you are interested....but like it says in the OP he is not accepting new orders right now.

15. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    I was going to say that bass has a very deep Carl Thompson influence. I think it's great that builders are willing to come out and build instruments that are NOT influenced by Fender (Sadowsky) and MM (Lakland). Imagine what music would be like if everybody was still trying to copy Muddy Waters? It's time to evolve.

I hate Fenders.

16. +1

17. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    wow...

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm glad he has decided to stop taking orders for a while. Focusing on the customer and avoiding reckless profiteering is a good thing imo, if it ensures all basses turn out looking as good as that!

19. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    +1000. I would not change a thing.

20. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    I was thinking how nice the bass looked and then I got to the "Flintstone" look headstock logo. Yikes. But then again a bunch of people warmed up to the Bongo so go figure. It's good to see new stuff. Good luck. I do suggest giving the headstock logo some addition thought.