1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

West Michigan Repair Recommendation

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ejchis, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ejchis

ejchis

Apr 11, 2011
    My folks have a very old blonde upright bass that has been passed down through the family. They recently moved into a new house and, after the move, noticed that the bottom of the body of the bass was damaged pretty badly. The bass was in a padded soft case, which clearly wasn't protective enough.

I'm not positive, but I would guess that this repair will actually cost more than the instrument is worth, but I know they will want it repaired, not replaced, and that's understandable. The problem is that I don't know a good person to do the job. Does anyone know of a good person to talk to in the Grand Rapids area? I live in Ann Arbor, so if someone knows someone in this area, that would work too.

Thanks for your help.

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Aaron Reilly in Grand Rapids at Guarneri House. Call the bass prof at UM to find someone near Ann Arbor.

3. ejchis

ejchis

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks for the quick response. Contacting the UM professor is a great idea. Guarneri will definitely be getting a call too.

4. 360guy

360guy

Apr 28, 2006
    Lansing, MI USA
    I might be able to offer you some advice or point you in the right direction. Send me a PM with your contact info. I am in the Lansing/GR area.

5. ejchis

ejchis

Apr 11, 2011
    Not letting me PM you. Want to try contacting me?

6. 360guy

360guy

Apr 28, 2006
    Lansing, MI USA
    Check your PM box. I sent you a message.

7. KJPbop

KJPbop

Aug 8, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Greetings! Contact Kevin Flannery @ 616 977 0730. A fantastic repairman; shop is in his house, so overhead is low. Good luck, KJPbop

8. Check with Gary at
    Gary Ritter Strings.com | Violin – Viola – Cello – Bass – Sales & Service
    He's less than a 1/2 hr from A2.

9. ejchis

ejchis

Apr 11, 2011
    Okay, I got a little more information on the bass over the weekend while I was at my parents' place for a wedding.

It's a 1952 Kay 6-footer. The damage doesn't look too terrible to me. I forgot to snap pictures, but it's really just the area surrounding the endpin--maybe a 4-by-4-inch hole. I'm not sure if the two lower-bout side pieces will need to be replaced, or if those pieces of wood can be reconstructed and reinforced.

We contacted Guarneri, and my mom will be dropping the bass off this week. Hopefully it isn't too bad to get it back up to speed.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021