Whaddaabout Roundabout

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Shomy, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Dunno if this fits here, but just wanted to what's with that song? Everybody seems to speak of it very highly. IS the bass line in it or what?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Yes the bassline is "in it". :confused:

I don't know about spoken highly of, but it is a cool little riff with a bunch of dead notes.
  3. die_Heavies

May 19, 2003
    roundabout by Yes?
    it's definitly an awesome bassline that carries the song and also fun play.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I went mad trying to figure that damn thing out! I supposed that was par for the course, being that I'd been playing only a few months at the time. I still didn't get it right until about a year later.
  5. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    "Roundabout" spurred many a bass player.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    30 years later & I still ain't getting it right.

I first heard the tune in '72(?). I basically bought the album 'cause I thought the cover looked cool...needless to say, "Roundabout" blew me away back then; wasn't exactly what I had been listening to as "Rock".
    To me, it's the composition that makes it vs. 'the bassline'.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...oh yeah, wanted to add-

My favourite part is the organ solo with the drums & bass over the same change(s) as "In and around the lake...".
    Kinda funky. ;)
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    "Roundabout" to me is still probably the most driving rock bassline in existence. Great musicians in that band, although I'm not a fan of most of the vocals.
  9. I downloaded the song and....WOOOHOOO!!
    Not just the bassline, the whole song kicks a$$! Considering that i was born in 1982, I just love when i find such a timeless classic. Btw, i'm not a Hendrix fan :bag: ;)
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Chris has more "impressive basslines" but Roundabout is indeed one of the more kick ass.

(kickassest = Heart of the Sunrise)
  11. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    My favorite's gotta be "Tempus Fugit" from the Drama album. Great stuff.

12. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I hate to sound like a broken record here - or do I?
    But, it's a must for low-enders to check out
    The Duo with Mike Gordon
    I think they've only played twice so far, but it's off the charts

They played at Headcount and at Moe.down as far as I'm aware... 6/7/04 and some other date
    (search for it - it's worth it)
    the Moe.down set has a BLISTERING (and not in a FiElDy kind of way) Roundabout. Some minor flubs here and there but the energy is not of this earth.

This could very well be the most exiting "band" to ever take place...it's like Phish but without Trey getting in the way
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Talk about "grunt"... killer tone IMO.

14. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Chris Squire is downright NASTY on the bass. That band sets up some beautiful soundscapes which Chris Squire promptly tears down and recreates. His tone inspired me at the age of nine (7 years before I took up the bass) to ask my dad "what's that evil sounding guitar?"
    "Son, that's the bass".
    The song was "Close to the Edge", but I'm not kidding when I say that "Roundabout" raises my pulse rate by about 30 clicks; every single time.
  15. 'Nasty' is probably the last way I would describe Chris! ;)

Seriously, his playing is beautiful and supportive, unique tone, and at times very melodic. I always thought he had a unique approach to the bass, more of a classical influence, you can hear counterpoint in his playing, etc. Not a traditional rock approach....what do you think Chris would sound like playing a Chicago blues? :meh:

He was my 1st really big influence. I bought a Rick 4001 and took it on vacation and figured out all of 'Yessongs'. I didn't have the record with me, it was totally from memory.

One of my favorite bassists still.

Oh, and what do you think his most challenging line is? Right off, I'd have to say 'Sound Chaser' from Relayer.
  16. My favorite part is trying to figure out when the snare hits will be!
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sorry but the bass work in "Roundabout" is NASTY:D
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's Bruford.
    Check out his composition on Fragile.
  19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Bill Bruford is still doing it!! He's leading his own Jazz quartet which plays a lot of his own compositions and tours the Uk regularly. He''s still just as good a drummer and composer, but he gets much less attention, having slipped into the UK "straight-ahead", acoustic Jazz scene....:meh:
  20. I haven't owned that album in 10 years!

I might have 90125 on cassette at my folks' house.