Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What 2 practice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by farao, Jun 6, 2005.

1. farao

farao

Jun 6, 2005
    Hellu people
    i've been playing bass for about 2 years. i've worked thru all the (beginners) books i have. Since i can't meet so often with my teacher i have tot come up with y own practice materiel.
    The problem is that i have no idea about how and especialy what to practice.
    Help required.. ;)

thunx farao

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Your favorite band's music?

That's what I do.

3. TheMinotaur

TheMinotaur

Jun 5, 2005
    I used to practice alot of finger exorcises everyday and the Eagles tune Hotel California no matter how boring it got I always did them 1st everyday to loosen my fingers and tune my bass.

Also for you beginners out there Hotel California is a good song to learn teaches you about roots and fifths *Smiles*

The Minotaur
    Grab life by the Horns

4. farao

farao

Jun 6, 2005
    yeah well that's what i've tried but the tabs on the internet are just crap. They don't match with the bassist of the song and are always boring and unchallinging. (i get um from basstabarchive.com). Also got a little problem there :(

5. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

Sounds like one thing you should be practicing, then, is to pick out songs by ear. Start easy. Find one song you really like, and spend as much time on it as you need to. Slow going at first, but this is an EXTREMELY important skill.

6. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    *takes out notebook*

thanks for that! :)

7. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    Seriously, do that. I've only just started it, and it's incredibly useful, and you get a lovely warm fuzzy feeling when you get it right. Spend a long time working out the song, and when you're certain you've got it, compare it to a tab (www.mxtabs.net has a rating system).

I transcribed out Be Yourself, and I'm going to try and do the whole album. I find you approach the song in a different way. Instead of memorising every single fill or variation played by the bassist, you sort of make up your own little ones instead, as you'll find you're thinking musically more. Be Yourself, for example, is based around a G Major chord, and then you can work from there.