1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Are The Best Removable Casters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryevick, May 29, 2011.

1. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm thinking I may be ordering the Avatar TB153 later this week and if I do I want to buy a really good set of removable casters for it. Suggestions?

I'm also kinda wondering if the heavy duty line x coating they offer would interfere with installing casters... I would guess no.

2. Ernie Ball makes nice pop-out units; I don't think the Line-X would be an issue.

3. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    The best kind of removable casters are the ones that detach from the cabinet when you pull on them.

But seriously, I've had good experience with the stock Ampeg casters. They come out easy but stay in well for transport. I'm sure they can be bought on the interweb somewhere.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Best overall, or best for metal?

5. Lol

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The best is coing to be the Mesa slide-lock casters. The big rivet will be stronger than the long stem of the pop outs. they are also going to be the most expensive.

The Ernie Ball are cheap per set at GC. like ~$23 with all the mounting hardware. And when you finally break a caster you can just get a replacement at the hardware store for like $4 ea.

7. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    +1 to that. I replaced the stock casters on my HT322 with the Boogie casters a few years ago. They are great.
    Old thread with the before and after photos (about half way down the page):http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/club-bergantino-lets-see-those-rigs-331615/index37.html

8. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
  9. Those casters are the best product Mesa currently makes. The casters themselves slide off of the base plates easily - but not accidentally. Little button must be pushed in to make them slide out.

10. Two Percent

Two Percent

Dec 18, 2008
    What size mesa casters are good for the TB153? 2", 3" or 4"?

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The Mesa's rule.
    My lead player has the EB's on his 1960 Marshall cabs and those things break every other month. And that's with a light 412 guitar cab.
    If you plan to keep your cab, the 3" Mesas are a great investment. When I had my Diesel 215 it had the 4" models. THOSE are some badboys. :cool:

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Mesa casters are without a doubt, the best of all. Like everything else they make, completely bomb-proof.

13. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Awesome

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My experience:

1) Buy casters/rollers not by type, but by rated load. Buy casters with a rated load at least 4x the total weight of the cab. When the rollers hit a bump or divot, the actual impact is many times that of a normal load.

Example: if the cab weighs 100 pounds and you have four rollers, 25-pound or 50-pound load rated rollers will self-destruct quickly - probably the first time you hit a hole. Buy rollers rated for at least a 200-pound load.

2) Removable rollers are kind of a waste of money. Buy them, secure them well (I usually use 1" long #10 machine screws) and don't worry about them. If the cab is a square cab and you are worried about it, tip it on one side and play it.

Here are good NON-removable casters, the only kind I use. 255 pound rated load, $20 each and worth it. Install, roll the cab into place, lock the casters and play.

Shepherd® Swivel Caster with Brake (9280) - Industrial / Truck Casters - Ace Hardware

p981197reg.

If you absolutely, positively gotta have removable ones, then buy hell for stout. It's worth it to only pay ONCE.