1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are you playing? and Why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Sep 27, 2009.

1. to clarify

what kind of head and cabs are you playing through and why?

I'll start

after a long exile from the world of music i got back in

newrigall-1.

this is all stuff i picked up second hand.....in other words cheap stuff i could afford that would achieve my objectives

i built the cabs on the left myself with a litle help from a design program....heck i even built the pedal board myself

everything in the pic equals less than $1,500.00 investment over a two year period

I play a lot of stoner/doom/sludge

the 2x10 and 4x10 get run dirty (fuzz od etc)

the 1 x 15's get run clean

ok you guys

2. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Just a Bergantino ex112 and an iAmp 350 head right now . The cab because of the pronounced lower mids, no tweeter, and portability. The head pretty much because it was in my price range, and the EQ section is sweet. All in all I'm very happy with it- another ex112 or maybe an ht112 and I'd be set.

3. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    ampeg 8x10 and picking up either a Trace Elliot head or a GK 800rb. not sure yet. I had a long layoff from bass playing and im happy to be back. I formerly had a couple rigs over the years.....
    Ampeg SVT4Pro head with Bagend 4x10 and 1x15
    Trace Elliot head circa mid 90's with ampeg 8x10 as well as a mesa 2x15 in a roadcase.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Aguilar DB750 into an Aguilar GS410. It's probably the best sounding, most hard hitting rig I've owned so far. Not the most versatile, but what it does, it does the hell out of.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Got three heads and two cab rigs I use...

Main rig is a 69 Ampeg SVT and a 73 SVT 810. I use it for obvious reasons.

Second rig is a 64 Ampeg B-15N with Vintage Blue replica B-15 extension cab. I use this one for smaller gigs and load-ins where the SVT is too difficult to use.

I also have a Markbass Little Mark II that I use as a backup or for outdoor gigs where I think it'll rain.

6. havuk

havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    DFW TEXAS
    Thunderfunk TFB-550B into an Acugroove Whappo Jr.

7. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Ampeg b100r for smaller gigs, SVT blueline with 1 or 2 4ohm Ampeg 1510E cabs that I re-speakered. Soon Bergie nv215 that I just got will get some stage time too. I used to use my crest/demeter rig, but it's collecting dust at the moment.

I pick rigs based on the show and what volume I care to have at them for myself. If it's just going to be a d.i. to the house and load in/off/out needs to be easy, I'll just grab the b100r regardless of the venue. I've had 2 sound guys mic it and they loved the sound.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I play doom-pop through one of these.

FourRigsblk.

9. Amp/cab: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and NEOX112 cabs.
    Pedals: Demeter Compulator, MXR BAss Auto Q, Fulltone FatBoost, Boss OC2, Boss Chorus, Demeter BEQP, Tech 21 Dual Drive, Peterson StroboStomp

10. I had almost this same rig (T'Funk with a Tri112/Tri115).
    INSANELY good sounding!

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've got a couple of amps. My main stage amp is a GK2001RB. I like it because it weighs a hell of a lot less than an a tube amp. I like its clean tone, a lot, and its very tonally versatile. With the boost function, I can dial in a lot of grit. Channel switching is great too, as I can do from clean to dirty as hell with the tap of my foot. What I don't like is that it only has one input jack, which is a pain in the ass when I don't use my wireless and I need to switch basses.

I use a Ampeg SVT115EN cab usually for most things. Its works great for small venues and anything that needs to be a lot louder I'm usually using a PA anyways.

I play everything.

12. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Aguilar DB750 with Telefunken 12AX7 in the V1 stage
    Bergantino HS410

Why? Because it gives me exactly what I want in terms of tone, volume, durability, and consistency. I will never need the ridiculous amount of power this thing possesses, but it's nice to know I have it :D

This rig is far from cheap and far from portable, but those things are always last on my list when I'm shopping for an amp.

13. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I've got three different rigs that I use.

Rig One: Carvin B1500 + Avatar B212

This is the smaller rig that I have at my parent's house in Decorah. It works very well for almost all of the gigs I'm doing. It's great because I can easily move the entire rig on my own.

Rig Two: Carvin B1500 + Carvin BR810

This is an awesome setup. It looks awesome on the stage but I've shifted toward the Avatar B212 setup for gigs that don't require such a large cab. I usually practice with this cab because the sound is close to ear level and the cab is stored right by the room that we practice in.

Rig Three: Carvin BX500 + Avatar SB112 (x2)

This may be my favorite configuration. I absolutely love what Carvin has done with their lightweight amp. It sounds incredible and is very flexible. I love the two ohm stability as well. I use it with a 4 ohm load so if I ever added another cab it would be a 4 ohm B212 with matching tolex and grill. That won't be necessary, though. This rig can shake things up nicely. The Avatar cabs are awesome. They look as good as they sound, too.

I like a good clean tone with good low end and definition. The Carvin heads paired with the Carvin or Avatar cabs really work well. They also are capable of adding some slight harmonic elements to the sound with that handy drive control. I am very happy with my amp setup right now.

14. Mesa M9 Carbine through a Mesa Powerhouse 2x12

I play that amp for the only reason you would play such an amp.

15. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    Yamaha BBT500
    Ampeg PB212

For larger/outdoor/boat gigs I use a PB 210 with an old Peavey 15" cab that has a MASSIVE 4 ohm Scorpion- ballsy!

Very portable, plenty of headroom (I need it!) and the head plus all 3 cabs cost (used) less than 800$ for everything. Paid for itself very quickly (a requirement that keeps me from going the Aguilar/Berg route- although it's tempting!)

I sometimes power things with an Ampeg B4R, leftover from my days playing at deafening volumes. If I went back to doing that, the BBT500 might not cut it!;)

16. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    LowEnd True Voice, Carvin DCM1500, EV 2150M. Add the right EQ and a bit of dirt when appropriate...
    Why?? Why else? Because I dig the sound, man!

17. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    1st rig: Ibanez SR800 bass, Hartke HA3500 head, Hartke 4.5XL cab

2nd rig: Ibanez K5 (Fieldy signature model) bass, Hartke HA7000 head, Hartke 2100 Pro cab, Hartke 115XL cab

3rd and current rig: Ibanez SR506, Ibanez Promethean head, Hartke HX115 HyDrive cab

I just wanted to keep it as light weight as possible this time. It sounds good and is very easy to transport. I'm happy.

2-2.

18. superhand

superhand

Sep 14, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    SWR workingman's 15 combo.

Reason - mostly economics, if you know what I mean, but I think it sounds great to.

19. Crate BFX100. I use it because I'm a dirt-broke college student who doesn't gig enough (at least in situations where I'm required to bring an amp) to justify purchasing a rig I can't afford. Saving up for an Acoustic B200H/B115x2 stack, but that's probably not until long after graduation in 2013 :(

20. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    Carvin B1500 head, and two Carvin BRX10.2 Neos.

why? because i got really really really lucky. found them used. and i don't want anything else. i haven't a reason to think this isn't the perfect amp for me. now that i'm happy with my tone, and power, i haven't even bothered looking around for alternate tones on other amps. why? i love what i've got and man am i grateful for it.

peace, love, carvin.

w9jnrr.