1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass should I get

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nova221, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Nova221

Nova221

Aug 14, 2013
    I'm planning on buying a new bass and I'm torn up between three
    Fender squire jaguar vintage j/p bass (long scale)

Square affinity j bass (long scale)
    Or
    Yamaha RBX 170EW (long scale) with mango wood top

(Or any other bass that is 299 or less)

I am looking for a nice smooth sounding but still has a kick of anyone knows anything about any of these basses I would really appreciate it your help.

2. In my experience, a nice used bass can be a better value when you are on a budget. That said if you are set on a new one, try as many of each prospective model as you can. There are differences bass to bass(even if it just setup), and you may find one that really jumps out at you.

Good luck.
    -Jake

3. Nova221

Nova221

Aug 14, 2013
    Thank you for your post jake but unfortunately
    I don't like anywhere near a place that sells guitars or basses so I'm doing all my research online.

4. Ah, that is less than ideal. But, it`s not the end of the world. I bought my fist bass used online(ebay actually) for $250 and I still love it. It is the only bass I have now that isn`t vintage or some other oddity.

Yamaha`s can be good basses, but I would really research that one hard. J`s are classic, while the Jag should give you a good variation in tone. I have little to no personal experience with these specific models though, so not too much help.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The cheaper end Yamaha basses always feel like toys to me. (While their higher end stuff is really nice.)

That Jag looks to be a very neat bass. I like what they did with the design of that one.

That is all I can offer. Best of luck with your hunt!

6. I'd go with the Jaguar. My first bass was an RBX170 (2001 or 2002 model) and that thing really didn't have a good sound or feel. Of course try any bass you're considering and use your own judgment, but I think of the 3 options you're most likely to find a good Jaguar.

7. Nova221

Nova221

Aug 14, 2013
    Well I'm buying them off guitar center or musicians friend I've been ripped off to many times on eBay

8. Xenos

Xenos

Nov 2, 2013
    Anything Fender/Squire is worth your money. I play a Fender MiM P as my main bass, it's never let me down.

9. In all honesty for $300 if be looking for a used mim fender. They've sold that low on occasion.

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    nothing in your profile, so we have no idea of anything about you, so can only make assumptions ... there are other very good options besides Ebay for online used purchases ... TalkBass has worked out pretty well for many :) .. just buy from reputable sellers with decent feedback ... if you have a Guitar Center, you have access to a Craigslist ...

... not knowing anything about you, etc ... I respectfully suggest rather than buying one new for $299 range, narrow it down to a couple of your choice, find them used, buy both at $150-175, sell the one you like least ... you will have learned more about your preferrence and needs in the process as well ... JMHO

11. Nova221

Nova221

Aug 14, 2013
    You make valid points but I'm really looking forward for a new bass I own four great basses but they've all been previously used which I find nothing Wong with I just want to be the first one to open the package ;) but if I find one thats considerably cheeper ill buy it. And I don't really know how to change anything on my profile

12. bostich36

bostich36

Feb 13, 2013
    I personally own the jaguar, It's an awesome bass!!

13. Nova221

Nova221

Aug 14, 2013
    That's what I was leaning towards but I never owned an active bass before dose it suck up the battery?

14. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    It varies from bass to bass. But in my experience, active electronics typically require the battery to be replaced about once a year.

15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Nova, Ive bought quite a number of basses online - on Guitar Center. Good thing is you can buy from any store in the country and have it shipped to your door for about $25. Out of the basses you've mentioned, I would go with either of the Squier basses - lower end yamaha basses are okay but nothing special. For that $299, you can pick up a Spector Performer bass for as low as $135.99.
    Here's one for $139.99
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-SPECTOR-4-STRING-BASS-RED-109654859-i3474282.gc
    A Fender MIM Jazz bass (not a Squier) for $249.99
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-MIM-109392464-i3336112.gc
    A Tobias "Toby" for $189.99 including a bag
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-TOBIAS-BASS-BLK-W-BAG-109614097-i3450994.gc
    A Fender P-Bass MIM (again, not a Squier) for $249.99
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-P-BASS-MIM-RED-NC-109052348-i3165886.gc

16. Xenos

Xenos

Nov 2, 2013
    My MiM P-Bass was used, it's a 1998 Model, I got it in 2000, picked it up for $233.87 after tax. I've done a few modifications to it since, but still-it's the best playing bass I've ever played (outside of an Alembic, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax).

In fact, nearly every instrument period I've ever owned has been used-with the exception of my RG350DX, AK95D, and UKS10 (all Ibanez), every instrument I own I got used.

It's a great way to go with it, if you can.

17. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    Avoid the Affinity.

18. Nova221

Nova221

Aug 14, 2013
    Thank you max and xen I will defiantly take a look

19. Nova221

Nova221

Aug 14, 2013
    Max I'm not looking for anything special just something that decent

20. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Given a choice between a Squier or a Fender MIM, I would choose the latter if I can find one used within my price range. That would likely be a used bass though. A Fender MIM is a step up from the Squier models. I bought a Squier MB5 a couple of days ago, while good, the Fender MB models are noticeably better in sound and quality- just couldn't find one to buy as it's a discontinued model.
    That being said, Squier basses are a good option if you have your heart on something new. I would probably get the Jag. Pretty nice!