1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Irtemed, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Music-Man StingRay

66 vote(s)
    38.4%
  2. Modulus Flea

20 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. Fender Jazz Bass

62 vote(s)
    36.0%
  4. Lakland 4402

36 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. [url]http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=1005158[/url]

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    :confused: :help: :confused: :help: :confused:

I am a intermediate bass player and I want to get a different bass because I am getting into styles of playing that my bass
    (An Ibanez TR-50) can't do without sounding like a P-bass being slammed into the ground over and over again. I like to play Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beatles, Muse, Green Day, Audioslave, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and Verve.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    1) Go to stores
    2) Play basses - focus on how they play more than sound
    3) Find the model you like and buy it USED.

3. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    I live 5 minutes away from Bass Emporium. (Pure Heaven)

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Um... and youre still on TB because? ;)

5. there aint nothing as versatile as a 44-02! i love it to death. huge range of pickup blending possibilities, not to mention the extensive 3 way pre. dont forget active/passive!

6. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    This would be in future tense because we don't have much money.

7. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    The silver Flea bass is what I'd get (I tried and it had a vintage tone)

8. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Are you shooting for a 4 or 5?

9. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    Not a 6. either a 4 or 5

10. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    bump

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'd get a P-Bass, string it with flats, and run it through an SVT rig.

But that's me. What you should get? Only you will know. Go play every bass you can get your hands on and play it through a rig similar to your own (or bring yours along if the stores don't have your rig) so that you can get a better idea what it will sound like for you.

Trying out basses through a rig that's nothing like yours will not give a good idea as to it's sound when played through your rig. The amp/cabs can really change the tone of a bass, so when you buy one and bring it home and play through your rig it may sound entirely wrong for you. Also, the choice of music you selected still tells us nothing except you want a variety of tones. For variety in tone, try an active bass with two pickups and either a blend pot or dual volumes (not just a switch that goes full on one or the other, or both full on) that also has a good onboard preamp with a three band EQ.

Asking here what bass you should buy, is like asking us what girl you should date. Lots of opinions that won't make one bit of difference in your level of happiness with your choice.

12. I recently picked up a Peavey USA Millennium 5 and love it. Tone possibilities are endless with the 3 band pre with sweepable mids. Plus a thin, fast, very comfortable neck. From those you've got listed, IMHO it's the biggest bang for your buck.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Along with playing different basses, I suggest checking out different bands playing live to hear what's going on with their bass/rigs. Also, do some research and find out what all your favorite bands used for bass. McCartney=Hofner, etc.

14. 76JazzRay

76JazzRay

Mar 30, 2009
    Arizona
    I like the MusicMan Bongo. Lots of sound possibilities, including sounding like a Stingray. The HH with 4 band active 18V system is nice. I have that AND a vintage Jazz.

15. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I used to be able to walk there from my apartment in less than 1 minute (their old location on Burnet & Buell). Once they moved, I could still drive there in about 3 or 4, as long as the lights were green :D

I now live a painful 17 miles away from Bass Emporium, and work almost every minute they're open. I literally have to book time off (or call in sick) just to go there and hang, but it's been my favorite place to be for the past 3 or so years :)

16. Having BassEmporium that close, YOU should be telling US what bass to buy since you have access to play A LOT of them! ;)

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    For me it would be a Jazz. But you can't go wrong with the Lakland.

18. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    This is a smart man.

19. Irtemed

Irtemed

Apr 6, 2009
    If I told you what to buy then you'd take the basses I like to play :cry: